taking mcat 3x, good or bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chucky85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I took the mcat as a sophomore and made a 29. I did not like my score. As a junior, I retook and made a 31. I applied to med school last year and did not get in. Because I did not get in, I retook the mcat again. I made a 34. Does taking the mcat 3x times or more hurt applicants. Do med schools only take into consideration the top score?

Members don't see this ad.

nope. you improved! Good job :thumbup:

You should go up around 10% on a retake; which you did the last time, going from a 31 to a 34. That's a nice improvement. Of course, needless to say, stick with that score and don't retake it again!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had gone down, then that would have been bad, but the third time is technically the last time you should take the MCAT. A 34 is a strong MCAT score that you should be quite happy with. It certainly won't hurt you.

You probably should not have re-taken with a 31. Some schools might not look to highly upon that.

You probably should not have re-taken with a 31. Some schools might not look to highly upon that.

I disagree. A school who sees a retake after getting a 31 is more likely to say, "Wow, there's a guy who wasn't satisfied with 'good enough'," than "Premeds and their damned retakes."

Since he wound up with a 34, they'd be justified in thinking the former.

That's silly. Some schools might have felt it was pretty ballsy to retake with a 31, but no one's going to look down on him/her for it.
Do med schools only take into consideration the top score?
Most med schools I applied to either only consider the most recent or the highest. Either way, you're a 34. Some schools (only a handful that I saw) average your scores and a few schools (Tufts, for one) take the highest score in each section.

Congrats, Chucky. Retaking on a 31 shows a level of confidence I wouldn't have had.

now that you have the 34, its time to stop retaking the mcat and focus on strengthening other areas of your application, because to be honest with a 31 and a strong rest of your application, you should have been able to get into at least your state schools.

Also, just remember there's no point in questioning whether it's good or bad NOW - it's done and you can't change it, and for good or bad the schools will see it. You took a chance and it looks like it paid off (10% increase most likely a + thing even on 3rd try) so count your blessings and see what comes your way.

now that you have the 34, its time to stop retaking the mcat and focus on strengthening other areas of your application, because to be honest with a 31 and a strong rest of your application, you should have been able to get into at least your state schools.

That's a pretty good point.

Chucky, what is your GPA and some of the more salient ECs? If you have something like a 3.4 GPA then maybe you do need the higher MCAT score to get in.

i happened to stumble across this post. As a resident going through this all I would say it defintely doesnt hurt. WIth a 31 and esp with a 34 your mcat scores are more then good enough. If you are having trouble getting in you should consider gpa and esp science gpa and building extracurricular, volunteer and research experience. Personal, i re-took and it only helped. no one ever asked why i re-took or any questions regarding it. I was once told, and im not sure of this accuracy, that everything is screened through a point system and they take your two point mcat score, gpa score and points for volunteer etc to meet there cut offs. so the would take your most recent mcat.

best of luck!

I took the MCAT more than once and I don't think it is an issue unless your scores go down in subsequent administrations. You have great scores, don't worry about it!

it sucks that you didnt make it with the 31.. but great job on the 34 - it shows alot of dedication to go through the prep and the test 3 times. i always wondered if i should have retaken (got a 30 the first and only time, but tested 33-35 on practices).

anyway, like i said, i think it comes off as dedication, and this cant hurt you. your GPA would help w/ giving advice, but, apply broadly this time - you dont want to go around for a fourth time. your 34 gives you alot more options, but, as i said, since your GPA is MIA..

best of luck though:luck: