Taking Mcat august and applying for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I was wondering:

Let's say I wanted to study all summer for the mcat, and take it in August. By the time I get my scores, would it be too late to get accepted into MD school?

From what i've read around here and online, I can submit my application and June and just say i'm waiting for an MCAT score. Granted I know what applying late entails, would this hinder my chances of getting accepted? Would it be too late?

I'm not sure how the application cycles work for MD schools. When does the "semester" start? Like if I get accepted, when would I BEGIN medical school? A year after? The spring after I'm accepted? or does it vary by school.

Members don't see this ad.

For MD it's pretty late unless you got great stats. It does hinder your chances. Some schools vary but most start in August. If you get accepted this year, you will be attending medical school next fall.

For DO, it's still considered "on time" to have your MCAT score in by September as well as the rest of the application.

Reactions: 1 user