Taking MCAT for the 3rd time - any advice much appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunner10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've written the MCAT twice so far - scored 9/9/11Q (29Q) in 2008 and 9/11/12S (32S) in 2009 but am rewriting because any gain I make in my MCAT will help me out to compensate for a **** GPA. I'm a Canadian resident and trying to get into a Canadian med school. I plan to write May 1st so I have just under 3 months to prepare and would really appreciate it if anybody could provide any advice as to how to boost my score/what methods they believe would be useful in this type of situation :)

Members don't see this ad.

I should add in that I'm working full-time so that'll cut down the amount of time I have to study significantly...

32S is a decent score (especially with 9+ in every section). Are you retaking it because of some cutoffs for Canadian schools?

Is your 9 in PS? If so, then it is probably the easiest section to improve on. Get hold of TBR books for PS and keep practicing.

I do not have any advice on Canadian medical schools but the MSAR does include them along with score averages. I am sure the 32 is considered acceptable in the US system and thus would be similar in Canada - however, the third MCAT is a bad idea unless you are fairly confident that you will score at or above 32 again. Seeing how you have 3 months it could be possible but I don't know why a 32 isn't good enough - your GPA is just low and you may have a hard time getting in, but you should apply to schools in the US just for the chance that you will be accepted.

Third time MCAT takers such as myself (and I have to say I don't know if I have done better than my last, since I just took it) are at a disadvantage with time frame and lack of predicting their own success. The 32 is a 'good enough' score and I would be hesitant to suggest you do it again unless you can get a 34.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crupen: The 9 is in PS, ya. I really seem to struggle with physics but general chem is fine for me. You think TBR will be most useful to me for physics help? Any other suggestions for increasing my abilities in physics?

I do meet cutoffs for Canadian schools - the schools I plan to re-apply to only take your best score so I figure I have nothing to lose by rewriting..

rama kandra: my practice scores averaged higher than 32 (more like 34) so I'm figuring I give it a shot and see if I can hit the 34 - our system in Canada for some schools is that any gain in MCAT can be the push that lets you get the interview. Did you see a significant change from your 1st to 2nd test scores? And how did you feel writing the 3rd time? I think the thing for me was my first time was nerves, 2nd time was I'd studied alot better but was still nervous cause I really felt like I needed to increase my score, but writing the 3rd time will be no pressure so that might help me out..

Crupen: The 9 is in PS, ya. I really seem to struggle with physics but general chem is fine for me. You think TBR will be most useful to me for physics help? Any other suggestions for increasing my abilities in physics?

What did you use for PS first two times?

Started off with Princeton but hated it so stuck to EK.

I also seem to be reading EK 1001 is a good resource which I didn't use before but am considering investing in...

I had the Princeton exams and materials and stuff so occasionally did their practice passages and exams but mostly just EK - audio osmosis included.

Started off with Princeton but hated it so stuck to EK.

I also seem to be reading EK 1001 is a good resource which I didn't use before but am considering investing in...

I had the Princeton exams and materials and stuff so occasionally did their practice passages and exams but mostly just EK - audio osmosis included.

Get your hands on TBR Gen Chem and Physics. It will be a good investment for you. The only thing is if you are in Canada, the shipping will be really high. If you can't get your hands on TBR, get some extra passages in Gen Chem and Physics from other sources (extra FLs) and practice. GL.

Get your hands on TBR Gen Chem and Physics. It will be a good investment for you. The only thing is if you are in Canada, the shipping will be really high. If you can't get your hands on TBR, get some extra passages in Gen Chem and Physics from other sources (extra FLs) and practice. GL.

Sounds like a great idea, I'll get on getting TBR through some method; thanks Crupen!! :)