Taking MCAT in few days, VR score LOW. Push it back??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken 3 AAMC tests in the past week

AAMC 5. 11PS 10VR 9 BS
AAMC 6. 11PS 8VR 14 BS
AAMC 7. 13 BS 8 VR 11BS

I'm EXTREMELY worried that I'm going to pull an 8 on VR on test day. Nothing is clicking right now. What do you guys think? Should I push it back? I'm scheduled to take the Exam very soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah that VR score is trouble. Why are you scoring low? Not enough time or are you just not getting the questions right? The reason I'm asking is because the passages are noticeably longer on the actual MCAT and that might throw off your game even more... I'd suggest pushing it back and just reading a ton to improve your verbal skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time is part of it. I usually have 5 minutes by the time I hit the last section. I'm worried that if I push this back it's going to be VERY hard to maintain my high BS/PS scores. How can I make sure to have this material STRONG by the time I actually take it? Also, I am entering my last year of school, and studying while I'm in school is really NOT ideal. I do have some EK material (1001 Chem/BS/Orgo/Pchem) that I can use, but I am losing my subscription to Kaplan very soon. I already used the HSG.

I am not AS concerned with PS/BS right now. tbh it seems like a 10/8/10 would be better than a 12/8/12. Or am I wrong? It just makes VR look SO low. I don't want my VR to standout so much. I need it to seem like I'm just as strong in that.

Are VR sections really much longer?

The VR sections are a lot longer on the real passage and I think you shouldn't be worried. Its most likely the stress killing your score now, just relax and remain confident. 50% of this test is confidence and 50% is content. You have all the tools and knowledge to get your score, you just have to believe in yourself. I am strong believer in speaking things into existence! Goodluck :) I suggest doing some AAMC passages.

First, relax. The same happened to me, and I did fine on the real thing.
Second, just take the exam. If you run out of time in verbal, void your score and retake in Jan. Good luck.

Look, the MCAT is important but it's not the most important thing in the world. It's not like if you scored an 8 on your MCAT that you're going to be rejected from med school FOREVER Give it your best shot from now until test day. On your actual test, judge your performance at the end of your exam. If you couldn't finish all of the passages, just void the test. If you got through the entire passage and felt confident, then score it. If you scored it but got a score less than what you wanted, retake it.

Med school admissions (and life for that matter) isn't about not making mistakes. It's about what you do after you made one.

For verbal, I would practice passages under timed conditions. Don't worry about how you score. Figure out where your mistakes are and what you can do to correct them.

For sciences, review content that you are weak in. Study 1 subject in PS and 1 subject in BS that you are weak in, and review it. Then do a practice FL and figure out where you are making mistakes. Review from your book on the topics necessary.

Again, don't worry about how you are scoring. It doesn't matter how well or bad you do on the practice. It's only the real exam where your score counts. So just use the opportunity to learn from your mistakes

Are you noticing an overall trend in my post?

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I'm in a pretty similar boat as OP...but my verbal scores are fluctuating even worse tho...from like a 6-9 on my AAMC tests...but when I do EK 101 book, I get 9-10s...which is REALLY throwing me off now...plus my timing sucks

I was thinking about cancelling my test (on the 10th) and writing it in Jan, but does anyone know how I should use my time wisely in the meantime if I do decide to write in Jan?...ive done all TPR and AAMC tests and all the Kaplan verbal stuff I have (old format), as well as all the TPR stand alone drills in the 'student center'...and will finish all of the EK 101 book...so how do i study then from now to Jan for verbal?!...

This is my 2nd time taking the mcat and I just graduated from undergrad this past april and am just working....not in school

thx

Yes Isoprop I understand. but I can't just walk into the actual test unsure of how well I am scoring on everything.