Taking MCAT on August 20th... When to start studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lacipart

M1 at UW-Madison
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA isn't doing the best at the moment (~3.4) thanks to Calc-Based physics, but I have a history of doing great at standardized tests (i.e, a 33 on the ACT).

Anyway, I need to do really good on the MCAT (well we all do, but you know what I mean). I plan on starting to study the week after school ends and go at it for 4-8 hours a day until the 19th of August, about 3 months. Is this a little excessive or the usual for the MCAT? For how long do most people study?

Members don't see this ad.

everyones different. reading these forums ull see ppl studying for a month before the exam for 2 hours a day, others for 10 minutes a week (being sarcastic), and some, like me, putting in 10-12 hours a day for 3-4 months. depends on how much time u FEEL u need. if ur doing 4-8 hours a day, and ur doing well (30ish) on practice exams, then u may be ok at that level. Or, if ur doing poorly, then u may need to up it a little.

There's lots of parts... depends how much time you want to spend on each... and try to end a week or two before the MCAT so you can fall behind your schedule and still be ready for the EXAM.

Here's how I broke it down:
1) Review basic MCAT science plus verbal practice (1 month)
2) tackle practice tests. Find weaknesses and gaps (use EK 101's to improve) plus verbal practice (1 month)
3) Shift to heavy verbal practice, lots of reading, and finally look at writing plus AAMC practice tests (1 month). (during this month I did full lengths on saturday mornings 4 wks, 3wks, and 2wks before the exam.-- huge help with nerves for test day!)

The best thing I did was get my reading speed up for a month before the exam-- helped me on every section and particularly the insanely long verbal passages everyone's been complaining about. In terms of time per day-- depends how much you need to know-- I had a LOT to review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest taking a weekend to do CBT 3, which is free from aamc, and determining where your weaknesses and strenghts are.

Also its never too early to start for verbal. Start reading a lot of opinionated articles.

Yo, im taking the august 20 MCAT as well, I've already started somewhat, i want to get done with the material by the end of july, so i can just take exams exams n more exams for almost 3 weeks before the exam. how exactly are you planning on preparing? duece duece

I have the Exam Crackers series so I plan to read, reread, and take the in book quizzes/tests, and reread up until I guess mid July. Then, yea, tests tests tests I suppose.