Ahmed786

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
It obviously wont look as good as taking it just once but to just what extent will it hurt you in the eyes of medical school admissions. you scored a 31 the first time then a 36
will the medschool be like "this student scored a 36 but only after the second time so its not that impressive" or will it be considered about on par with someone who scored a 34 or 35 the first time they took it.

Edit: This situation is HYPOTHETICAL I actually didnt score a 36 haha I am saying if i WERE to

Last edited:

CaptainSSO

7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2010
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
If you score a 36 you score a 36. If anything, it shows that you don't give up and you're willing to do what it takes to overcome adversity and do what you need to do. That's my personal view of it, at least, but overall my understanding of it is that every school will weigh the two scores differently. Some will take the highest score, some will average, some will take the highest scores per section, etc. But at the end of the day, if you scored a 36 the second time then you still did better than 95% of the other test takers (or whatever the exact percentile is--I know it's above 90% for a 36).

Dec 13, 2009
Loooziana
Status
Medical Student
you scored a 36 and you're worrying about "how it looks" to adcom members??? REALLY?
i took the mcat three times and i did not get anywhere near a 36. and i've been blessed with an acceptance this cycle. sooooo, you're good, id say. lol
:) congrats on a great score (both times!)

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
hah, I hope it looks okay. I'm re-taking it next Saturday (I took it once before), and coincidentally, I got a 31 the first time as in your post. And let me tell you: trying to raise my score *significantly* from a 31 has been really really difficult, beyond what I imagined :( Bleh.

Oct 30, 2009
Status
Medical Student
You scored a 31 and received no acceptances? Are your grades below a 3.0? Did you apply to just top tier MD schools? This seems very odd. Odd in the sense that it is rare and unusual for a score of that scale not earning any acceptances. Was your 31 really unbalanced acorss the 3 sections? That would make sense.

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
correct :-/ 31 got me to 5 waitlists; no news from there though. people reassured me in that 2009 was a particularly rough year with the economy and everyone wanting to go back to school. or something.

it was balanced enough in that my lowest section was a 9, but i got a 9 in my most confident section, which really bummed me out. my overall GPA is a 3.8, sci GPA is 3.7. i didn't only apply to top tier schools, and my interview invites were fairly well-spread out, tier-ranking wise. (and im not a terrible interviewer either). i'm not 100% sure what went wrong.

but now I'm really interested in MD/PhD programs anyway (I've been doing full time research in the meantime), which would definitely require something above a 31, and double digits in all sections!

Dec 13, 2009
Loooziana
Status
Medical Student
correct :-/ 31 got me to 5 waitlists; no news from there though. people reassured me in that 2009 was a particularly rough year with the economy and everyone wanting to go back to school. or something.

it was balanced enough in that my lowest section was a 9, but i got a 9 in my most confident section, which really bummed me out. my overall GPA is a 3.8, sci GPA is 3.7. i didn't only apply to top tier schools, and my interview invites were fairly well-spread out, tier-ranking wise. (and im not a terrible interviewer either). i'm not 100% sure what went wrong.

but now I'm really interested in MD/PhD programs anyway (I've been doing full time research in the meantime), which would definitely require something above a 31, and double digits in all sections!
that is quite odd that you wouldnt get an acceptance with that, plus a 31 on mcat. unless you had like no volunteering or anything....hmm.......so you're currently on 5 waitlists, or that was last year? either way GOOD LUCK and hope you get an acceptance in the near future!

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
i had decent clinical experience, other volunteering here and there, little bit of shadowing, little research, and plenty of other EC...

i applied in the summer of 2008 (graduated may 2009). i'll be submitting apps (... again) this summer!

and thanks :)

ronaldo23

The Truth
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
It obviously wont look as good as taking it just once but to just what extent will it hurt you in the eyes of medical school admissions. you scored a 31 the first time then a 36
will the medschool be like "this student scored a 36 but only after the second time so its not that impressive" or will it be considered about on par with someone who scored a 34 or 35 the first time they took it.
There is a thread that unofficially lists the MCAT procedures of various admissions committees. For the vast majority, the best set of scores (that is, the best test, not best individual sections) is what committees consider. But if you go down it definitely looks bad...

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
That 31 is an average MCAT score. If you retook and scored significantly higher (meaning going up in total score and in every section), then you made a good decision in retaking the MCAT.

The problem comes when a student goes down in total score or drops in any one section on the retake. At that point, the retake is a liability instead of an asset. Do realize that more people drop or stay the same on the retakes than go up unless there were significant problems on the first take that were corrected (illness etc.).

Multiple retakes are not a good idea. With one retake, you are likely to get the benefit of the doubt unless your score drops but multiple retakes are very problematic.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That 31 is an average MCAT score. If you retook and scored significantly higher (meaning going up in total score and in every section), then you made a good decision in retaking the MCAT.

The problem comes when a student goes down in total score or drops in any one section on the retake. At that point, the retake is a liability instead of an asset. Do realize that more people drop or stay the same on the retakes than go up unless there were significant problems on the first take that were corrected (illness etc.).

Multiple retakes are not a good idea. With one retake, you are likely to get the benefit of the doubt unless your score drops but multiple retakes are very problematic.
:thumbup:

Flapjacks

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 9, 2010
Status
Other Health Professions Student

26 MCAT is the average accepted score.

31 is SDN average /cough.

ronaldo23

The Truth
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student

? 31 is the average of those matriculating at us med schools...26 is just around the national average of all test takers, half of whom won't even end up applying.

g8orlife

chomp
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
A quagmire
Status
Resident [Any Field]

nope...and...nope.

Average MCAT Score: 24
Average Applicant: 27
Average Matriculant: 30

:cool:

Jan 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

Edit: This situation is HYPOTHETICAL I actually didnt score a 36 haha I am saying if i WERE to
If the admissions committees understand what "standardized" means, then they'll know that scoring significantly better the second time around isn't by virtue of having taken the exam once before, but is a function of one's preparation.