Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

taking mcat while taking orgo 2?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by smileman, Sep 23, 2001.

1. smileman

smileman Junior Member

hi. i am done with phyics, bio and gen chem requirement but currently taking organic chem 1 and will take orgo chem 2 during next semester. i was just wondering if there are people out there who took mcat while taking orgo chem 2...thanks advance for any response..

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member

You should be fine. Take some practice tests as the time nears, if you're scoring okay, then go for it.

4. Nubtastic

Nubtastic Member

You'll do fine. I got a 29(10V,10P,9B) on last april's MCAT and I was in Orgo 2 and Biol 1. Its not the best score but considering the classes I was in I figure it is good enough.

Good Luck

5. Spang

Spang SDN Angel

Same here. All done but taking orgo 2 and studying for the MCAT last April. (11, 10, 10) You should be fine, just use the MCAT study stuff to augment your orgo knowledge.

Spang

6. I did it, but I struggled. Last semester, I took Orgo 2 and the MCAT in April. (I was working full time, too so that was also a factor.)

The biggest problem is that my Orgo course that ended in the end of May hadn't gotten to some of the really important stuff by the time the MCAT came around in April. Basically, I hadn't studied any oxygen containing compounds except for alchohols.

I did my best to learn this on my own. I was taking a Kaplan course, so I bugged my teacher a lot. When I really learned it later in the course, I realized that my grasp of the material had been tenuous.

In the end, I got an 11V 12P 11B. But I think I got lucky, in that my exam was not too orgo intensive. Some people on this list say that they had 70% orgo. I would have been in trouble if that had been my exam.

7. RainaNoelle

RainaNoelle Member

Heheh..and then there's me who took the MCAT last August without having taken ANY organic classes. :eek:

As someone else said, I *did* take the Kaplan prep course, and studied a lot on my own. I obviously don't have my scores back yet, but I'm expecting somewhere between a 28 and a 32 (which is all I really wanted anyway...my goal was a 30), based on my practice tests (I feel good about the actual test, but am not sure if others did well on my version too...then again I could have bombed it and not know I guess). ;)

Ultimately it depends on your goal-scores...if you require a 35+ you might wanna hold off and take it later. In the meantime I'd start taking all of the (reliable) practice tests you can get your hands on...if you feel confident taking those you'll probably do great (unless you get a bad-luck-of-the-draw test, and then hopefully everyone else will have problems too.)

Best of luck to you!

Raina

8. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member

Go For It! I taught myself physics over the course of this summer and felt I did fine on PS in August. Added benefit, by studying this stuff now you'll kick a** in Organic. I just got my physics test back and got about a 120% after the scale. Peace. AEKDB.

9. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

You'll be fine dude. Plenty of folks here took orgo II, the MCAT and much more and did just fine. Just hit the books hard, and the bars. Then a month out from the MCAT it's time to lock the door and really get dirty. Do these, you'll be fine. -- Trek

10. EW1779

EW1779 Senior Member

Wow, at least it will let me reply. i tried to post a message before and i guess i am too much of a newbie. :)
    I wanted to let ya know that you should be fine doing the MCAT during orgo 2, if you study. I took the MCAT before taking physics or organic, and i was ok. on the plus side, it made it easier for me when i later took the classes at my school. work your behind off and good luck!! :rolleyes: