Taking MCAT without finishing prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorme555

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking Physics 2 and OChem 2 next semester. How hard will it be to take the MCAT without being finished with these courses? School gets out May 7, so I'll almost be done with everything by the time the MCAT comes around. I will not have taken the Physics 2 lab or OChem 1 and 2 lab. Does the MCAT test stuff that comes from lab classes, or will I be ok having taken the lecture classes?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same position as you for physics -- I hadn't finished the second semester when I took the April MCAT, but it went fine. As for o-chem, I'd already taken it sophomore year, but you really don't need to know all that much in detail. At least one of the substitution and elimination reactions will show up for sure, and you need to know the basics of extractions and those pH tests, so don't just focus on lecture. Just think in broad terms and look at the outline of any prep book to see what's important -- you'll do fine!!

The beauty of the April MCAT is that you can take the test again in August if you didn't like your scores, and it really doesn't delay your app, so long as you get your AMCAS in over the summer. That way, if the school is waiting for your scores, you're already ahead of thousands of people who waited. Only 3 schools waited to send me a secondary until they got my scores, so I was already done with most of the other secondaries by then.

Remember though, that all your scores are visible to AMCAS now, so dont take it for "practice".

But as long as you study the material provided in the review books, it should be bad.

Originally posted by badgergirl
I was in the same position as you for physics -- I hadn't finished the second semester when I took the April MCAT, but it went fine. As for o-chem, I'd already taken it sophomore year, but you really don't need to know all that much in detail. At least one of the substitution and elimination reactions will show up for sure, and you need to know the basics of extractions and those pH tests, so don't just focus on lecture. Just think in broad terms and look at the outline of any prep book to see what's important -- you'll do fine!!

The beauty of the April MCAT is that you can take the test again in August if you didn't like your scores, and it really doesn't delay your app, so long as you get your AMCAS in over the summer. That way, if the school is waiting for your scores, you're already ahead of thousands of people who waited. Only 3 schools waited to send me a secondary until they got my scores, so I was already done with most of the other secondaries by then.

I guess this thread fits in with my question. Like I have stated in previous posts in other threads, I have an accounting/finance background. I have never had any science courses, no physics, no calculus, no trig, etc. I have had college algebra, stats, quantitative analysis, which probably would be of no use. I will begin Post Bacc classes starting probably next summer or fall. I am going to try to take 2 classes a semester to get in all of my pre-reqs. My question is, when should I take the MCAT. Should I finish all of my classes first, or take it in the April before I finish or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
dst:

I think you should finish your pre-requisite courses... just because you are 1) probably away from academics for a bit, 2) have never taken physics, or chem, etc.

The concepts take time to sink in, especially if you're from a totally different background, like yourself. Take MCATs a year later, if need be.

Originally posted by doctorme555
I will be taking Physics 2 and OChem 2 next semester. How hard will it be to take the MCAT without being finished with these courses? School gets out May 7, so I'll almost be done with everything by the time the MCAT comes around. I will not have taken the Physics 2 lab or OChem 1 and 2 lab. Does the MCAT test stuff that comes from lab classes, or will I be ok having taken the lecture classes?

doctorme555,

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm planning to take April 03 MCATs while finishing the Physics II and Organic Chem II, Like you said, by the time April MCATs comes around, classes are almost done, so we should have covered most of the stuff. The hard thing is finding time to also study for the MCAT. How busy is your Spring schedule? I'm only taking 13hrs, hopefully enough time to put in some MCAT studying.

As for labs, I doubt they will be helpful. Just focus on lecture stuff.

solid snake

What type of math will I find on the MCAT? Should I take Calculus or something in preparation for the MCAT or my other post bacc courses?

Originally posted by dst10spr97
What type of math will I find on the MCAT? Should I take Calculus or something in preparation for the MCAT or my other post bacc courses?

no calc on the mcat. as long as you can manipulate logarithms (something you can learn in gen chem), thats the extent of mathematical difficulty on the test.

but there are a FEW schools that require calc as a pre req for admissions......

DON'T DO IT.. Trust me.

Review is different than learning something for the first time.

MCAT is like a good first impression. PUT YOUR BEST FOOT FORWARD THE FIRST TIME.

Besides, we both know that you will score higher by taking the prereqs so don't take a chance.