Taking MCAT without having taken genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think?I am taking genetics in the fall but i was thinking maybe to take mcat right after summer. How important is genetics on the MCAT? Also, should i wait to take biochem before taking MCAT?

Oh man..i am starting to freak out..its all getting soooo close

Members don't see this ad.

The AAMC states that you don't need either one of those courses to do well on the MCAT. I am sure they are right, but I don't think they would hurt.

However, if you can dedicate your summer or at least a couple months to studying and practicing the exam format I think you'll be fine without genetics and biochem.

An interesting aside, Bio majors tend to have some of the worst scores on the MCAT, followed closely by the social sciences. So, the moral of the story is that Genetics obviously isn't the make or break class. Neither is Biochem.

I have yet to see a question that required my genetics knowledge beyond the scope of Bio 1. Same holds true for Biochem.

You are fine without having taken genetics. All you need is in the first year bio class and your prep course/books.

You are fine without having taken genetics. All you need is in the first year bio class and your prep course/books.

:thumbup: Everything you'll need to know is in the prep books. Having taken the courses will only allow you to study that stuff a bit more quickly. As long as you understand it all, you'll be fine.

The genetics the ask on the mcat is fairly simple (simple doesnt mean easy necessarily). Taking genetics didnt help me for the mcat i felt, like everyone else said above dont worry about it. In fact in genetics we covered topics that were way beyond anything on the mcat and therefore not too useful. Remember that the MCAT is really a verbal/critical thinking test, which is why bio majors tend not to do as well as we are trained to mass memorize and regurgitate imo.