taking med school prerequisites at a cc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlooKookie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I've had an account on here for a while, but I finally have some questions of my own to ask... so here goes:
I'm barely a sophomore in college, I'm suppose to transfer to a 4 year university in the fall (which starts tomorrow), but I've done most of my prereqs for med school already--so how bad does that look?
On top of that, I don't want to go to this university (UH), I rather stay at the cc and transfer to UT in the spring. But that would mean, I'd have to take ochem 1 also at the cc, so what should I do? Should I go to UH and be super depressed, or wait a semester take ochem 1 also at a cc and go to UT in the fall.
I'm so confused, please help! Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!
I've had an account on here for a while, but I finally have some questions of my own to ask... so here goes:
I'm barely a sophomore in college, I'm suppose to transfer to a 4 year university in the fall (which starts tomorrow), but I've done most of my prereqs for med school already--so how bad does that look?
On top of that, I don't want to go to this university (UH), I rather stay at the cc and transfer to UT in the spring. But that would mean, I'd have to take ochem 1 also at the cc, so what should I do? Should I go to UH and be super depressed, or wait a semester take ochem 1 also at a cc and go to UT in the fall.
I'm so confused, please help! Thanks :D
Why did you take your prereqs. at a cc? I only took core class at a cc I hope your sgpa is >3.8. I would not take ochem at a cc. I wouldnt recommend taking any medical prereqs at a cc honestly. It can be seen as not difficult enough.

Why did you take your prereqs. at a cc? I only took core class at a cc I hope your sgpa is >3.8. I would not take ochem at a cc. I wouldnt recommend taking any medical prereqs at a cc honestly. It can be seen as not difficult enough.

I would try to take it at a four-year university.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should try to take organic at a four year. You need to show adcom that you have the ability to complete science courses at a four year as well as a cc. As long as you complete at least one series at a four year, you should be okay.

As far as your happiness...could you hold off and take organic at UT and take organic 2 during the summer? Even if it ends up adding a year to your college plans, you could always take upper division classes during that year?

Instead of starting a new thread I wanted to add onto BlooKookie's conern:

I have a BBA Finance/Econ from UH - wasn't thrilled about UH either. Graduated in Fall-07 and immediately went to work for a Big Bank before the credit melt down. I have 3 years of work experience as an analyst for a well known investment bank. However, I only have one questionable prereq for Med school(Chem1301).

I will be registering for 2 class for Fall-10 so that my prereqs are complete, but I'm undecided between UH Clear Lake (a staelite school for UH) or a CC. I've officially crossed off the CC from the list after reading this thread.

If prereqs are taken at a satelite school like UHCL, would that be frowned upon by the adcom at a Medschool in the Carribean's?

Thanks in advance