Taking more Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently i am signed up for 21 credits (5 classes and organic lab). at my school each class is 4 credits. now the norm is take 3-4 classes (12-16 credits). i am wondering should i take mroe credits, and possibly sacrifice my gpa (get lower than what i would probably take if i only took 16 credits) or should i just take the norm? i am taking organic, and that is my main concern, and i just want to get a good grade in that class. do med schools recognize that you may have a lower gpa due to taking less classes, or do they just care about the grades?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't take so many classes! I've made that mistake before! Orgo takes a lot of time and effort. In the end, med schools will possibly see that you took a lot of courses this semester. But seriously, all you do is input the grade on the app--that's what they really want to see and calculate...so take a normal load and you won't regret it!

i'm dittoing athena-- cut some classes off your schedule. i committed academic suicide my sophomore year by taking ananlytical chem and orgo (with lab) at the same time, along with cell bio (with recitation) and getting so stressed that i didn't have time to study for anything properly. i'm still recovering from that. learn from my mistakes!! take a few classes, do well in them, and you'll be a much happier person. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your feedback, i went ahead and dropped out of one of my classes, now total dedication to orgo:D !

Pbehzad,

I took 22 units (and 8 units at a community college concurrently) and it can be done. You just have to learn time management and you have to purchase cases of Red Bull (it gives you wings!). I took 22 units/quarter for 2.5 years because I was trying to graduate early, and my GPA didn't turn out as high as I hoped -- so if you're not in a rush to finish or can push some GE classes into the summer quarter, do that. Too many units leads to a very quick burnout and the rest of your academic career may suffer.

Good luck.

I agree!! Do NOT sacrifice your GPA. I would recommend taking summer school or even an extra year so that you can relax and take an average number of courses. A low GPA will hurt you badly and you'll spend more time attempting to make up for that than you will in summer school or an extra year. Take it from someone who has 22 units of regret :)

Originally posted by pbehzad
do med schools recognize that you may have a lower gpa due to taking less classes, or do they just care about the grades?

I think med schools would definitely like GPA over more credits, as mentioned by everyone else. If you're going to take 5 classes, taking at least one that's a gut is often the best policy.

-RA