Taking NBDE Part 1 before Dec 2011. What about NBDE II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shreya986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking NBDE Part I before December 2011 because the format is about to change. But if the format does change in January 2012, how do I approach NBDE Part II? Will I still be allowed to take it in the old format or is there something else that I am missing? Can someone please help me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering taking NBDE Part I before December 2011 because the format is about to change. But if the format does change in January 2012, how do I approach NBDE Part II? Will I still be allowed to take it in the old format or is there something else that I am missing? Can someone please help me?

Shreya, cross the bridges when you come to them.For now you should think about part 1.After you are done with it,you can worry about part 2.In case the format changes in 2012,you have to take it in the new format like everybody else!Right?:)

Thank you for your reply. The only reason I am asking is so that my Part-I will not go waste. If there is no reason to take it then I'd rather prepare for the new format.

And yes what you said does make perfect sense but just wanted to figure out whether there is any use taking the exam in the old format.

Thank you for your reply. The only reason I am asking is so that my Part-I will not go waste. If there is no reason to take it then I'd rather prepare for the new format.

What format changes are you referring to?Come 2012 numerical scores are not going to be awarded,it is going to be pass/fail.Someone said there are going to be changes in the way questions are asked.Incase they are going to combine part 1 and 2 ADA will give us sufficient notice.Is there something else that you are concerned about?

Members don't see this ad :)
hello...
can i know what would be the admission criteria in 2012 after one gets pass/fail
as im done with part 1....got 85 n GPA 3.8
do i need to go with part 2 for the admission with that much of score n GPA in part 1??????????

hello...
can i know what would be the admission criteria in 2012 after one gets pass/fail
as im done with part 1....got 85 n GPA 3.8
do i need to go with part 2 for the admission with that much of score n GPA in part 1??????????

hello
I have seen today in ada site like SINGLE EXAM SYSTEM..what dos that really mean?? yes its sure from 2012 there is only pass fail system changing or is that part1 and part 2 test is merging into one..i am planning to take exam in 2012..do you have idea..how is everything going..plz suggest..

hey i am planning to take the exam in december for the same reason..you can visit ada site for changes in nbde after 1st jan 2012. not only are they going to introduce pass /fail which is actually quite good in a way but the problem is they are changing the pattern of asking qs. there will be multiple anwers right for eg if a question has a and b as the right answers then u will get a mark only if u mark both and not just a or b. plus there will be match the coumn and arrange in order kind of questions on getting all right u wud get a mark i think. so sounds quite scary. besides there are people who hav taken the exam before to guide u wid the old pattern wid the new pattern it will be a problem.
hey any of you'l hav any idea of how to get the dental deck 2012 and 13
coz on the net they sound quite expensive approx 12000 bks

hey m also worried bout writin exam on 2012......i thought of givin it but now i m a bit confused....whether i wud giv it on dec 2011............if i giv it on dec wat do i ve do fr part II can ne1 plzzzzzzz suggest!!!!!!!!!

i guess thts the whole reason why people r giving exam in december because of the change in pattern .. N i am one of them .. plaaning on december .. just wanted to ask u guys of how far have u guys reached with the prep .. coz i hv barely gone thru lil bit of micro n lil bit of biochem n dam its all too confusing .. i hope m not the only one finding it difficult

any one in new york giving the NDBE PART I in Dec 2011?? looking for a study partner.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also preparing for nbde part 1 and plan to take the test in december ....but application deadlines for most of the dental schools are going to end in nov/ dec so still have to apply in next year's admission cycle....Do you guys have any idea that what will be the admission criteria next year ??

hi guys.....i m planning to appear in nbde1 in november.....i need a serious study partner here in boston MA. and also if anybody can tell me that can i apply to any dental school by the end of december2011????

I am also planning to pass nbde part 1 before december.Let's discuss some questions
microbiology/pathology
1 Which growth curve describes the lytic reproductioncycle that releases a large number of phage
a/one step growth
b/two step growth curve
c/horizontal growth curve
d/ none of the above
2 Which two of the following herpes viruses do not cause a vascular rash,both in primary infections and reactivations
a/epstein-barr virus
b /varicella -zoster virus
c/herpes simplex virus type 1
d/herpes simplex virus type 2
e/cetamegalovirus

3 which virus can cause herpes zoster lesions among sensory nerve roots in later life
a/ smallpox virus
b/epstein-barr virus
c/varicella zoster

4 The leading cause of gingivostomatitis in kids from age 1- 3
a/herpes simplex
b/chicken pox
c.influenza
d/rubella

5 the usual site of latency of herpes simplex type 2
a/the cranial sensory ganglia (trigeminal)
b/the lumbar or sacral sensory ganglia
c/ B -limPHOCYTES
D/the cranial or thoratic sensory ganglia

An increase in the size of an organ or tissue due to increase in the size of cells
a/hypertrophy
b/hyperplasia
c/hypoplasia
d/atrophy
e/aplasia
f/metaplasia

All of the following are prokayotic cells except,
a/bacteria
b/fungi
c/chlamidia
d/mycoplasmas
e/ricketssia

Last edited:
Shreya, cross the bridges when you come to them.For now you should think about part 1.After you are done with it,you can worry about part 2.In case the format changes in 2012,you have to take it in the new format like everybody else!Right?:)
hey cud u pls teme is it necessary for result to be out before rule changes or no....jus we ve to appear in exam before that?????
thanx a lot in advance

hey cud u pls teme is it necessary for result to be out before rule changes or no....jus we ve to appear in exam before that?????
thanx a lot in advance

I am not sure about that. You could call ADA at 1-800-232-1694 and they should be able to give you the right info. Good luck!

i am in portsmouth nh taking nbde1 in nov,looking for a serious study partner(preferably female)is some1 close to this area? contact ASAP