Taking non BCPM courses senior year vs upper div BCPM courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brockhamptonfanacct

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a rough start with my BCPM GPA freshman year. It was probably a ~2.7 then and has been a 4.0 since, though I just finished my sophomore year, so half of that has been online due to the pandemic.

I have taken 19-22 credit hour semesters since I began college, so I will have most my degree and premed requirements done by junior year. My senior year semesters are 12-15 credit hours, and they are all leftover degree requirements (so mainly political science courses).

I have some non-BCPM courses of interest I’d like to take — some English literature courses, gerontology courses like Physiology of Aging and Mental Health and Aging, psychology courses like Clinical Neuropsychology and Psychopharmacology. However, I would also like to take some upper division BCPM courses both because I am interested in them (like Virology and Histology) and to prove that I am no longer the same student from freshman year.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would be quite happy, and sufficiently interested, taking any of my course options. I just don’t know if it’d be a better idea to take more upper div BCPM courses, as I am reliant on showing an upward trend and worry somewhat (since now my spring, summer, and fall BCPM courses will have been online).

*I know conventional wisdom says to take what you’re interested in — but I’m interested in them all, and if some would help my app more, then that’s great.

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take whatever interests you.

I’m pretty equally interested in them all. Would you recommend any specific department, or would it just be better for me to take what’s most manageable (since my interest level is equal) to focus on ECs and the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Physiology of aging sounds like a BCPM course to me. If that's not bio then what is it?

It’s classified as psych at my school. I also had the same thought though
If I'm not mistaken the determination is made based on course description not the course classification. If it's mostly bio stuff you could count it as bcpm.

If I'm not mistaken the determination is made based on course description not the course classification. If it's mostly bio stuff you could count it as bcpm.

The course description includes:
  • common disease processes in aging
  • diagnostic considerations, treatment and management, symptom presentations
  • emphasis on pharmacology — drug-drug interaction risks, polypharmacy
  • “whole person” approach to health
Not sure given the emphasis on pharm. What do you all think?

@gonnif I’ve seen you comment on a couple of the classification posts so I’d appreciate your thoughts as well