Taking notes during an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SharpieMarker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it strange to take notes during an interview? The scenario I'm imagining is that they ask me questions, we talk, and at the end, they ask if I have any questions. I ask them a few but my hands itch to write down the answers so I don't forget. Would that be strange?

Better to just try to remember whatever they tell me?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. But if you really worry about forgetting, write down a summary after leaving the office or at the end of the interview day.

Is it strange to take notes during an interview? The scenario I'm imagining is that they ask me questions, we talk, and at the end, they ask if I have any questions. I ask them a few but my hands itch to write down the answers so I don't forget. Would that be strange?

What kind of questions do you really want to ask? Most people use this part of the interview to show deep interest in the school, not honestly ask questions about things they don't know about.

Yes. But if you really worry about forgetting, write down a summary after leaving the office or at the end of the interview day.

Exactly. Immediated AFTER you leave the interview, find a quiet place to sit down and jot your thoughts. But other than the financial aid presentation, it's preferable that you don't write or consult notes during an interview. The goal is to make it as close to a conversation as possible.