Taking Notes During MCAT Study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmabella3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There -

I am doing a self-guided study for the MCAT, and I'm just wondering if anyone out here took notes while reading through the books or not? I find it to be much more time consuming than just reading/highlighting but honestly can't decide if it's more beneficial (probably over-thinking this). Any advice would be appreciated! :) I'm using the PR 2015 MCAT books!

Members don't see this ad.

I take good notes as I read, and I find it helps me retain more information. It's time consuming, but I have a set of notes containing stuff I am not familiar with that can read to quickly review material. (20 pages of notes for 200 pages of text) I can type out 2-3 chapters worth of notes in about an hour, and just typing the notes reinforces information pretty well.

I typed it all out while reading the chapters. Then i re-read the word file while making Anki flashcards. I feel like i don't retain info as much if i just highlight and move along. The most important factor (in my opinion) is how much time you spend doing practice problems!