Taking notes in interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pittnative

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would bringing a notepad to jot quick notes be out of the question for the interview?

Or even bringing a notepad with some specific questions you might have about that school be a$$inine?

Anyone do either?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a nice leather foler type thing wtih a bussiness card holder and pad in it and pen holer, you know the kind i'm talking about? I think they have a name but i'm too absolutely exhausted to think of what it is. Anyway my roommate brought one on all of her interviews last year, and I'm bringing one this year. I am definitely going to have a couple of questions written down so that I don't forget to ask them or freeze when they ask if I have any questions for them. And I think it's perfectly reasonable to jot down their answers, as it shows you really wanted to know the answer, and will help you remember later as you're deciding which acceptance to choose (i'm being an optimist, something new for me). As long as it doesn't mess up the flow of the interview i think jotting notes will make you look really interested at points, and can't hurt.

Would bringing a notepad to jot quick notes be out of the question for the interview?

Or even bringing a notepad with some specific questions you might have about that school be a$$inine?

Anyone do either?

I intend to bring a notepad. I would not necessarily write during the interview as it will be a distraction to both you and the interviewer, but I would not shy away from whipping it out in case you can't remember specific questions. It will show that you are carefully paying attention and have a genuine interest in their program, etc. Still, use it as a last resort. It's always better to have those questions in your mind to begin with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I intend to bring a notepad. I would not necessarily write during the interview as it will be a distraction to both you and the interviewer, but I would not shy away from whipping it out in case you can't remember specific questions. It will show that you are carefully paying attention and have a genuine interest in their program, etc. Still, use it as a last resort. It's always better to have those questions in your mind to begin with.

Excellent approach!

Note taking is really for if you are interviewing somebody, not if you are being interviewed. How many interviews have you seen with journalists where their subjects are being interviewed? At best, it looks kinda silly, at worst it can interrupt the flow of the interview (which is supposed to feel like a conversation) and sink you.

The main function of the interview is to show that you would be a good 3rd and 4th year medical student (your grades and mcat cover years 1 an 2). Notetaking during the interview process would get in the way of that.

This is a good compromise!

This is a good compromise!

Agreed, but do not let the notepad become a "crutch" or a device for deflecting your eyes away from the interviewer, etc...I would probably only ever open it up to write down something if the interviewer were giving me a specific piece of info like "Dr. X in building Z is our top person in your area of interest..."

It would probably only work as a sort of security blanket, i.e. making you feel like you are not working without a safety net.

I can see a really funny twist on this though...

Interviewer: So tell me a little bit about yourself.
Interviewee: (whips out notepad, and starts reading) Well, I was born in Chicago in...

The main function of the interview is to show that you would be a good 3rd and 4th year medical student (your grades and mcat cover years 1 an 2). Notetaking during the interview process would get in the way of that.

The purpose of the interview is to prove that you are motivated to become a physician and that you would be a successful medical student. They don't break it down into years like that.

You know, if I was an interviewer, I'd be impressed if I got to the "So do you have any questions for me?" and the guy actually HAD prepared questions in a nice little notebook (as long as they were good questions.) Show's he's prepared. But I dunno if that's universal.

Hey adeadlois, I know my breakdown is simplistic but that how it was described to me by an interviewer at one of the philly schools. They actually went so far as to say no notes and also no prepared questions for the interviewer (assuming you have been at the school all day!)

Their logic was that there is no way they can tell from your app that you would have the people and social skills necessary to succeed as a medical student beyond years 1 and 2 from your app alone, so that interview serves to fill in those blanks. That being said, there is always the caveat that all med schools have somewhat different metrics.

I would not write stuff down during the interview (unless its something really specific... say you mention you like a good steak and the person recommends eating at such and such for dinner.... dont write down generic regular stuff... you can recall it after the interview I'd hope).

However, I do STRONGLY urge you to have a leather portfolio with a page of a few generic questions ready beforehand. Even if you know the answers already, it does not hurt to ask the same questions again. There are simply thousands of questions you could ask; dont ask things like will I get in, etc. If you do not ask questions, that says you are disinterested. Just ask something!

What do you think is the strongest point for coming to XYZ? What is the housing situation like in XYZ? Are there any good golf courses in XYZ (if thats your thing)?