Taking notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkcadillac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting to work through the Berkeley Review Chemistry books. It's been a while since I took Chemistry. Would taking notes on the content be worthwhile? Or a waste of time?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it would really depend on your preference.
do you learn and remember concepts better by taking notes?
if your answer is yes then i would suggest taking notes.
however (speaking on personal experience) as you start taking notes you'll begin to notice that you'll be taking notes on a lot of stuff. This is because test company review books ( kaplan, princeton, berkely, EK ) have condensed all the material you'll ever need to know for the test. So you'll end up copying the text almost verbatim..

haha that's why i stopped taking notes but rather writing in margins my personal reflection of the material and helpful hints etc so that when i need to review etc i reread the material really quick but focus on my helpful hints that i write in as guidance etc.

but it really depends on preference. sorry i dont know if that's much help.
best of luck!

however (speaking on personal experience) as you start taking notes you'll begin to notice that you'll be taking notes on a lot of stuff. This is because test company review books ( kaplan, princeton, berkely, EK ) have condensed all the material you'll ever need to know for the test. So you'll end up copying the text almost verbatim..

Can't agree more. I am currently reviewing Kaplan's bio book and I decided to take notes. I got up to chapter 5 and my hands were literally hurting from all the note taking. That's when I stopped... The review books are notes themselves when you think about it: all the info condensed into 100 pages.

Can't agree more. I am currently reviewing Kaplan's bio book and I decided to take notes. I got up to chapter 5 and my hands were literally hurting from all the note taking. That's when I stopped... The review books are notes themselves when you think about it: all the info condensed into 100 pages.

The verdict is in....Whats best for you man. Elaborate on the books' notes or just repetitiously read.

I found that taking notes helped me a lot... not only because concepts stick in my mind better when i write them down but also because it was easier for me to go back to my notes and find something quickly rather than flipping through a huge book... I divided my notes by topic: ex. Notes on solubility were on one set of stapled papers and equilibrium on another... this way i could find exactly what i was looking for much faster when reviewing or simply looking up details of concepts or formulas...