Taking ochem in summer & at a community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emmabean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I asked this question before, but I just want some more opinions because registration for summer classes is in two weeks and I can't decide. I was hoping to take organic chem 1 over the summer at my current community college as I will be transferring in the fall to a big university. I have been reading reviews for the ochem 1 professors at the university I am transferring to and most of them get terrible reviews, however the organic 2 professor for this fall gets very good reviews. I took the ochem professor for gen chem 1 and really like the way he teaches. However, I have heard that taking med school pre reqs over the summer isn't a good idea, and taking ochem at a community college isn't good either. Has anyone had any experiences with taking classes like ochem in the summer putting them at a disadvantage for medical school admissions?? Has anyone had issues with community college courses putting them at a disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

I took OChem over the summer at my university. I liked it, because I could focus on OChem. It was "summer C" or the type of class that runs the duration of the summer.

Reactions: 1 user
You may have to check the schools you're applying to but on the MSAR many do not accept ochem taken from a community college. A class like physics might be okay but ochem not so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took ochem2 at my local CC and it hasn't really come up. I would suggest you take biochem at your 4 year college though if you do elect to do orgo at a community college