Bear715

10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hey guys!

So i didn't make it in this year and thus don't really have any more classes for prerequisite into applying for pharmacy school.

I was wondering if taking a year off just to work full time at a pharmacy would hurt my chances or if the admissions team likes to see you continue taking classes

Thanks for any help that could be provided!

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Hey guys!

So i didn't make it in this year and thus don't really have any more classes for prerequisite into applying for pharmacy school.

I was wondering if taking a year off just to work full time at a pharmacy would hurt my chances or if the admissions team likes to see you continue taking classes

If you're done with your pre-requisites and have done satisfactorily in them (I.e., that's not why you were turned down necessarily) then moving on to a working environment for a year is not really a bad idea.

Generally the advice goes: If you didn't get in this year, improve your application in the interim of this year and next.

I certainly think working FT/PT in a pharmacy along with picking up some volunteer hours somewhere else in a different setting, perhaps, would also sweeten the deal.

Re-take the PCAT also, maybe? If it was, say, <65? Just some thoughts.

Shimmery

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Hey guys!

How many schools do you have prerequisites done for?

About the Ads

diastole

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Where the sun don't shine
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I am assuming you don't have a degree? How much pharmacy experience did you have when you applied this year? You need to make yourself more competitive before you apply again. Getting a degree will make you more competitive. Getting more pharmacy experience will also make you more competitive but it could have limited returns if that wasn't the reason why you weren't accepted. I'd spend the most time improving the weak points of your application. Without knowing your stats, it is hard to say if this is your best move. I suspect you would be better off continuing to take classes while working part time in a pharmacy. That way you can get more experience and make progress toward a degree.

Bear715

10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I have around a 3.37 cumulative.
I have worked at a pharmacy for about a year.
I am about 2 years away from a degree.
I only applied to UT this year but plan to apply to many others this time around.

What do you guys suggest I do to make my case stronger? Even if i take more classes I won't be finishing my degree by the time i apply but do they look to see that you are working towards one?

Cangri One

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
from what i know the majority of the people who get accepted into pharm school have their bachelor's degree. I have spoken to a lot of admissions people and they tend to rather accept people with a BS than someone who has just taken two years of classes. The only people who really get in after two years must have like a 3.6 and above. I would continue taking classes and raise your GPA and show them you can do good in higher division courses, it doesnt matter if you cant finish..at least you will have more classes under your belt.

diastole

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Where the sun don't shine
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
It sounds like you already have a sufficient amount of pharmacy experience. I'd keep working towards that degree and try to improve your GPA at the same time. Work in the pharmacy part time so you can even more experience under your belt. If you keep working toward the degree and you don't get in this year, you will only be one year away from having it which will make you much more competitive the following year. If you drop out to work full time and you don't get in again this year, I don't see a huge jump in competitiveness if you keep doing more of the same. The safer bet is to keep going for your degree.

alenadoma

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I agree with the others. I wouldn't take off school for a year if you only have 2 years of school done. If you had already had a bachelor's, that might be a good option for you. Continue to work towards your degree until you get accepted to pharmacy school.

trailrider400

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Hey, the number of students accepted with bachelors this year for my school was 87%. It may not be this high for all schools but a bachelors is becoming almost a requirement unless you have an awesome application. Getting in with just the pre reqs just isn't realistic anymore. I would keep working towards the degree. And yes I think taking a year off would be a bad idea. If your pcat is below 80 I'd take it again and would also try to start volunteering if you don't have any volunteer work already on your application.

Bear715

10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hrm... well i guess the consensus is to take classes.

Do you think going part time (student) would suffice? I would like to work full time due to some financial struggles right now and don't know if I would be able to take a full class load.

I would probably need 4 full class loads btw to really finish in 2 years but at least taking part time classes would show that I am working towards a degree and still help my GPA a little right?

...or should i just take a full class load?

Cangri One

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I would try for the full load but it financially u dont have it...at least take like 10 credits because realistically it looks better to have a Bachelors.

AKN16

Accepted Pharmacy student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2009
Up there
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hey guys!

Bear- I don't think this will hurt you. In fact, I think it will actually help your application. It will show your dedication to the profession. I know tons of people who are taking a year off before starting grad school, so this is common..
Maybe you can re-take some classes or the pcat during the time-off, to improve your app...

fenixtnlfan

P2 Wildcat
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
One thing I would suggest is contacting the school you applied to and see if they will go over your app with you. I know some schools will tell you where they want improvement to accept you.

trailrider400

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Why go to school part time? Unless you really have a full plate or a family or something you might as well get it done. Chances are you very well might need a bachelors degree to get accepted unless you have a very high gpa and pcat score.

swift3260

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2007
MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I have to agree that taking a year off is NOT the way to go. If you had a BA and an experience problem then this would help strengthen your weak area, but I can tell from your stats thats probably not why you didnt get in. Your GPA (along with experience and a good PCAT) would be fine to get you in with a BA, but probably not with 2 years of pre-req's. (To get in with 2 years you usually need really strong stats....3.6-3.7 GPA or higher, stellar PCAT score, etc.) Adcoms want to see that you can handle a full course load of upper level classes and still keep your GPA up because this is what will be expected of you in pharm school.

I would call the school that rejected you and ask them how you can improve your application (most schools will be happy to discuss this with you). Then take as many classes as you can and still get good grades. Full time would be nice, but dont take a full class load if you are just going to end up doing horrible in them. That won't help anyone lol. Then apply to more schools next year. Try 2 or 3, not just one. Once schools start to see that you are taking upper level classes and still holding your own it will make them take you more seriously. Just keep your GPA up and keep working towards your degree and I think you will have no prob in the future.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
New Jersey
www.pharmapplicants.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
A lot of pharmacy schools are moving to requiring a bachelor's degree now. In California, it is pretty much required now (a few years ago, I believe it was 'highly recommended')

Just do what you're doing at your own pace, but finish up your coursework as you continue to work. Your stats are good and with solid work experience + bachelor's you're going to be a very strong candidate.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.