taking off time to interview late January

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WnderWmn10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out my schedule next year. I wanted to take a couple weeks off to interview, but it looks as though I won't be able to do this until the last two weeks of January. Is it pointless to take off time this late in the interview season?

Also, on another issue, is it too late to do an audition interview in December? ~ thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to figure out my schedule next year. I wanted to take a couple weeks off to interview, but it looks as though I won't be able to do this until the last two weeks of January. Is it pointless to take off time this late in the interview season?

Also, on another issue, is it too late to do an audition interview in December? ~ thanks

You may not have the kind of flexibility you are contemplating in terms of when to schedule things. Interviews run from the end of October through the first week of February. A program often will give you a handful of choices, none of which may be within your short block in January. So plan on missing things. Your main job as a 4th year med student is to line up a position for next year -- everything else has to work around this, not vice versa.

Doing an audition rotation at the height of interview season is not the best plan of attack, IMHO. Practically speaking, you will likely have to schedule some interviews in December. You really want to shine during your audition. You don’t want to sheepishly ask for time off to go to an interview – at another program no less!

In addition to the above excellent advice, bear in mind that many hospitals essentially shut down to bare bones staff/faculty during the last two weeks of December.

Having minimal staff to interact with during your audition rotation is probably not in your best interest.