1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

taking on average more credits than normal

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by korndoctor, Mar 8, 2007.

1. korndoctor

korndoctor Member
    7+ Year Member

i am an Electrical engr and taking prereqs at same time, so i average about 30-40 hard credits per semester. do med schools see the rigors of my major and credit hours differently than someone taking 12-15 easy credits bio science major?

2. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Most important is keeping your GPA very high. If your GPA is mediocre, and the bio major taking a light load has a 4.0, she will be viewed more positively. Also taken into account is how competitive your institution is. Adcomms know the reputation of your school.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    AMCAS will show your academic career as a 7 by X table

acad year/BCPM gpa/BCPM credits/AO gpa/AO credits/total gpa/total credits

with one line for each academic year. If an adcom bothers to look, the fact that you took a heavy load each year will be obvious. It might get you some props.

Some adcom members also have a some mercy for engineering majors; it is widely recognized that they have tough classes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...