Taking Online course to boost GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemiguy

densing
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is that really a good idea to take online courses to boost sci GPA?
I heard numerous kid from my school (pre-den and pre-med alike) are taking sci courses online during summer or their free time to boost GPA.
I have posted a similiar thread before but I didn't not get a clear answer.
I don't know if any of you have done it prior to sending the application or some of you may be doing it already and certainly don't know how admission will think of that.

Members don't see this ad.

Chemiguy said:
Is that really a good idea to take online courses to boost sci GPA?
I heard numerous kid from my school (pre-den and pre-med alike) are taking sci courses online during summer or their free time to boost GPA.
I have posted a similiar thread before but I didn't not get a clear answer.
I don't know if any of you have done it prior to sending the application or some of you may be doing it already and certainly don't know how admission will think of that.

Just take a summer course. A semester class in only 7 weeks...I might just end up going to school only during the summer and taking the other 8 months off.

I am currently taking two on-line courses through my university...it's winter session so it's only three weeks and I am receiving six credits, three of which are going onto my science GPA....i can't imagine any better way to bring up your GPA in such a short amount of time....wish I had done it last year too...

Members don't see this ad :)
My university doesnt offer online courses and most of the others are for a degree. Are there any online university where i can just take couple of courses?

I don't know about any online universities, but I do know that you can do independent study courses through BYU. You have a year to complete the course, it's the cheapest tuition you'll find for online/distance education. And they have a good amount of science courses to choose from.

http://ce.byu.edu/is/site/

LaMigra said:
I don't know about any online universities, but I do know that you can do independent study courses through BYU. You have a year to complete the course, it's the cheapest tuition you'll find for online/distance education. And they have a good amount of science courses to choose from.

http://ce.byu.edu/is/site/

Thanks a lot for the link. I called my university and they said they will accept the transfer credit but would the dental schools?

Should i take Microbiology (MMBIO 221) and Elementary Human Anatomy (PDBIO 220) from BYU online course or take them at my uni if i have time? Also would 221 and 220 be considered upperlevel courses?

dn6603 said:
Should i take Microbiology (MMBIO 221) and Elementary Human Anatomy (PDBIO 220) from BYU online course or take them at my uni if i have time? Also would 221 and 220 be considered upperlevel courses?

Micro would probably be okay, but I'm not sure about Anatomy. Just seems odd to take this course online without an actual cadaver lab. Usually 300 and 400 level courses are considered upper level unless BYU does things differently.

LaMigra is right. That tuition can't be beat! $382 for 3 credit hours.

DentalNerd said:
Micro would probably be okay, but I'm not sure about Anatomy. Just seems odd to take this course online without an actual cadaver lab. Usually 300 and 400 level courses are considered upper level unless BYU does things differently.

LaMigra is right. That tuition can't be beat! $382 for 3 credit hours.

Thanks for the info.

dn6603 said:
Thanks for the info.

even if your university doesn't accept the credits, if you send your transcript wont it be calculated in ur gpa?

orthdent786 said:
even if your university doesn't accept the credits, if you send your transcript wont it be calculated in ur gpa?

Yeah thats what people here are saying AADSAS will accept it. But i am pretty sure your university should accept the credit too because the BYU program is accredited but call your university's transfer office and they should be able to better assist you.