carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I transfered to my 4-year from a community college. I carried 65 credits from there including Gen Chem I. I hear that the Organic professors at my 4-year are absolutely horrid; would dental admissions committies question my motives if I returned to my community college for Orgo I and II?

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Dental Student
horrid as in they are hard? or just plane suck?

if it is hard.. suck it up and take those courses cause you will take much harder in dental school. and organic chemistry is not really as bad as people say it is. it is just time consuming.

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Cleveland so does not rock....
Status
It really depends the school. SOme schoools are ok with you having most your pre reqs completed at a CC, but some are not. Your best bet would be to call a few schoools, see what they say about that. I took Gen Chem II at a community college and still got accepted at a few schools. Best of Luck!

Cozby

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
carn311 said:
I transfered to my 4-year from a community college. I carried 65 credits from there including Gen Chem I. I hear that the Organic professors at my 4-year are absolutely horrid; would dental admissions committies question my motives if I returned to my community college for Orgo I and II?

I took my Orgo I and II at a community college before transferring, because I heard the teacher was hard and I would learn a lot. Now, he was hard but I am not sure I learned a lot :) Anyways, after I transferred I wished I would have taken it at my University. The teacher was better all around. I would do some research on the teachers that would teach the class before making any real decisions.

By the way, taking it at a junior college did not hurt me. I got accepted at my first choice school.

Good Luck

msf41

AADSAS = rip off
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
Status
carn311 said:
Some schools will not accept pre-requisite courses taken at community colleges. Check with the schools you are applying to so you aren't suprised.

sdnmember

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
rocknightmare said:
horrid as in they are hard? or just plane suck?

if it is hard.. suck it up and take those courses cause you will take much harder in dental school. and organic chemistry is not really as bad as people say it is. it is just time consuming.

Speak for yourself. My professor was a demon. He actually bragged the first day of class that he's never seen a person get an A in his summer session orgo's. Of course I thought he was exxaggerating. Needless to say, noone got an A my summer session again. Really unfair...

wimmcs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Status
Take them at the JC. Do you have schedule conflict in the 4 yr. university that would perhaps justify taking them at the JC?