Taking Organic chem I and II over the summer at a junior college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carn311

Dead tired.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I dont do organic I and II this summer I will have to have a year off before entering into medschool. However, the only way to take even one this summer would be to return to my junior college which I already have 65 credits from. Im doing really pretty well at my four year...

Do you guys think I can take Organic I and II at my junior college and not send up red flags in the admissions commites minds when they find out?

Members don't see this ad.

carn311 said:
If I dont do organic I and II this summer I will have to have a year off before entering into medschool. However, the only way to take even one this summer would be to return to my junior college which I already have 65 credits from. Im doing really pretty well at my four year...

Do you guys think I can take Organic I and II at my junior college and not send up red flags in the admissions commites minds when they find out?

Do you NEED to take it at a JC? Why don't you drive to the closest university? There's always one within a half an hour drive in the northeast.

I don't know of any 4-years in the immediate area that are offering the two classes as a summer sequence. If I could find a school that was however it would probably be a private school and would be vastly more expensive then if I took it at this community college.

So does anyone have any opinions? Is it ok to add more junior college credit to the 65 that I already have?

(As a side note I have taken the majority of the required premed coursework at my 4-year with the exception of only General Chemistry I)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's better to take it at a 4 yr university but if you have no choice, then do what you have to do. I'm not sure where you are, i see a reference to Albany in your signature, but i know Cornell offered both semesters last summer so they probably do again this year.

carn311 said:

I'm no expert, but, i think it'd be okay. I know a bunch of people applying to med school having taken all of their pre-reqs at 2 year schools. Its not that big a deal. I think people here make it out to be worse than it really is, because they think some 2 year schools are for slackers.

So, does anyone else have any input? Ever been in a similar situation?

I took my year of O Chem and Physics at a JC over the summer because I, like you, had to get in both semesters during the summer or wait a year to apply to medical school. USC only offered a single semester so I went to a JC.

It didn't appear to be a negative. I got a good grade and proved I had learned the material by doing well on the MCAT and then I got into my state med school so...