Taking Organic I and II over the summer

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Summa, May 17, 2007.

1. Summa

2+ Year Member

What in Organic I is essential for Organic II? I'll have three weeks before classes start, what should I learn?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Woah... SN1, SN2, E1, E2, nomenclature, a handful of specific reactions/mechanisms, functional groups, a decent understanding of acids and bases.

That is a rough summer load, but do-able.

Good luck!

4. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

that sounds like pure hell. honestly it might be pretty tough to do orgo II without having had orgo I first.

although, it will probably give you an appreciation for just how much med school sucks.

5. dbhvt

dbhvt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    All of it. Organic I is doable in 3 weeks if you are committed and have a good mind for chemistry. You could get by with a less strong understanding of the stereochemistry chapters, but I wouldn't skip them entirely.

Edit: You have some serious balls. In August I fully expect to see an "I got a C in Orgo, is my med school dream dead?" thread. Please prove me wrong.

6. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I fully expected this to be a "Can I take orgo I and II over the summer thread?"... I was going to tell you that it was a bad idea.

good luck.

7. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The chemical characteristics of carbon including, the reaction types and characteristics, the simple families of carbon containing compounds with alcohols being the most important family , synthetic schemes involving the families of the families and characteristics of bonding that involve the simple families of carbon-containing compounds.

The first semester of Organic Chemistry sets the foundation for the second semester. If you have a handle on how to apply the principles of bonding, and derivations of synthetic schemes (application of reaction types), then you can parlay them over to the second semester of Organic chemistry and those compounds.

Taking Organic Chemistry during a summer session is quite doable but be prepared to spend a majority of your time with this course. You need to master the principles of this course well enough to apply them on the Medical College Admissions Test. For many people, this means working many problems and thorough mastery of the concepts behind those problems because you are going to have to be able to apply them later.

If you think of your summer adventure with Organic as something of a taste of the skills required for medical school, then you will get loads of practice honing those skills in addition a good grade in Organic. Keep yourself organized and good luck.

8. CarolinaGirl

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    How bad of a semester would it be for a person to take gen chem 1, org chem 1 and physics 1?:confused:

9. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

i don't recall needing much, if any, general chem for orgo. it would be a moderately difficult semester, but nothing extraordinary.

10. boodthedog

boodthedog Members Only
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I went back to school for post bacc and did not take the orgs until after having finished the gen chems because they were listed as requirements. I wish I had done things differently and had a semester more like what you propose. Then I could have taken biochem my second year. I think what you plan is very doable as long as you're not taking on tough classes on top of those. That's probably a 12 credit semester right there. If you need a full load, add something like everyone's favorite, underwater basket weaving.

Just make sure you read up on hybridization and resonance before jumping into ochem. Those are the big topics you use from gen chem that not knowing could hurt you.

As for the OP, I think you are crazy. I was talking to my ochem prof the other day. He said that the people who bombed ochem II were those who tried to tried to make their life easier taking ochem I at a cc. If I understand correctly, you are trying to not take ochem I at all?

11. nonono

Pre-Medical
    i took both semesters of orgo last summer, and found it to be great--i loved having all my time to focus on one class! and having 8 semester hours done in 11 weeks was nice.

this being said, orgo 1 is pretty critical for orgo 2. in orgo one you learn most of the necessary reactions adn then you go onto learning how to do synthesis and putting those reactions together in orgo 2. i would NOT recommend taking 2 without 1.

as for the person wanting to take g chem, oc ehm and physics together--not impossible. had a friend that did it. o chem and g chem are pretty different and not necessary to have one first. go for it! i will warn you--lab schedule will suck :)

12. powerful_squib

powerful_squib Snoop dogg resident
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm taking both orgo I and II this summer... I just want to get it ovwer with and try to get a good grade without the annoyance of other classes.

13. CarolinaGirl

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Thanks for the info guys. If I do take all three together it will save me a lot of time. I would not be taking any additional classes and would not work fulltime...

This way I could be done with everything in two semesters.. or one sem. and one summer...

14. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

It is do-able as someone else said, but that is quite the undertaking. I've known 3 people to attempt this, 1 of which did it successfully (she had no job, no other classes and lived in the science library). The other 2 both failed/withdrew from at least one of the courses.

I think trying all 3 would be a terrible idea. You need to not just pass the classes, but also preform well on the MCAT. If you spend all your time cramming because you are overloaded, you will just be doing it again for the MCAT. Why not just take ochem and gchem, followed by biochem and physics in a separate year? That would allow you ample time to really learn the material.

I would also wager that attempting ochem/gchem/physics all during an 8 week summer semester would be suicide. You are looking at 30 hours a week just completing the labs!