Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

taking orgo both summer sessions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dvdrv31, Nov 12, 2001.

1. dvdrv31

dvdrv31 Member

Hi, I am a junior and need to take Orgo this coming summer. is this doable or is it really difficult? Organic will be the only class and thing i'll be doing over the summer. Maybe there's a way I can start covering the material before the summer comes? Thanks for any advice.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I did it along with about 20 others in Organic I and 7 others in Organic II just last summer. Both with lab and all in 10 weeks. I enjoyed it and did well on the MCAT so I must have learned something. Go for it and have fun.

4. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    I also took Orgo I & II in the 8-week summer session last year. You got one grade for both sessions. The pace and coursework was super intense and basically everyone spent night and day at the science center studying. We ate, breathed and slept orgo. The nice thing was getting it out of the way and not having to take it during the year, but the bad thing was that I practically forgot it all for the April MCAT this year.

5. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If it's the only thing you have to do, then it's certainly do-able. It will be pretty intense, but not unmanageable, I would think. Trying to do that and work full-time or study for the MCAT would be a little bit insane.

6. KyGrlDr2B

I took the first lecture in summer, as well. I went to class, finished at 12, ate lunch and started studying. By late evening, I was finished and could do whatever I wanted. Mine was a 5 week session and every monday we had a test. It was GREAT to get it done and is very doable as long as you are disciplined and don't put it off.

7. 007flint

007flint Member

Can you take Organic in the fall? If you can, here's an idea:
    A friend of mine audited organic at a different college over summer last year(both organic I and II). He then took the organic sequence offered at our regular university...and ROCKED! It costs next to nothing to audit a class and you don't get a grade either. Since he didn't transfer the class, it looks like he got A+'s in organic the first time around.

8. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    To echo previous posters, it's a great idea as long as it's basically the only thing you are doing. It takes up more time and focus than you would imagine, so it's not really compatible with a part-time job, a long commute (ie, hour each way), studying for the MCAT, etc.

9. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

10. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Definitely do-able, but don't expect to enjoy your summer much! I did all my orgo one summer, and all my physics the next (don't ask).

11. newfocus

newfocus Senior Member

I also took Orgo I & II over the summer(reminiscing from a previous thread I just want to point out the fact that no one on this thread called organic 0-chem) :D but anywayz, if it is your only class I think it works out well because you can give it your full attention. But by the 9th and 10th week of every-day-orgo I was pretty burnt out. I take the MCAT this April so we will see how much I remember!

newfocus out~

12. idiot

idiot Member

Okay, you need two things: discipline and endurance...and you can handle Orgo I and II this summer. Last summer, I took Cell Phys/Org I and Phys II/Org II while studying for the MCAT with a 3 hr. commute (round trip)!! Made a 4.0 for the summer and a 35 on the MCAT this August. And I'm still alive. All it required was persistant discipline. Anyone can do it.

13. idiot

idiot Member

Okay, you need two things: discipline and endurance...and you can handle Orgo I and II this summer. Last summer, I took Cell Phys/Org I and Phys II/Org II while studying for the MCAT with a 3 hr. commute (round trip)!! Made a 4.0 for the summer and a 35 on the MCAT this August. And I'm still alive. All it required was persistant discipline. Anyone can do it.