Taking Orgo I with Gen Chem II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxlo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman. Would it be "okay" to take Orgo I with Gen chem II at the same time? This is the only way that I can fit two semesters of gen chem in if I want to take the PCAT the summer after my sophmore year. Anyone have any better ideas? (What about taking orgo in the summer?)

Rundown of my schedule:

Freshman:
Fall - Precalc, Gen Bio 1
Spring - Calc, Gen Bio 2
Summer - Human Anatomy and Human Physiology

Sophmore:
Fall - Gen Chem I, public speaking
Spring - Microbiology, Orgo I, Gen Chem II
Summer - study for PCAT, take at the end

As you can see I was unable to get into a Gen Chem class the fall of my freshman year, and they only offer it in the fall (with orgo I offered in spring)

Members don't see this ad.

As you can see I was unable to get into a Gen Chem class the fall of my freshman year, and they only offer it in the fall (with orgo I offered in spring)
Same thing happened to me @ my school.

(Sorry I can't provide insight about Orgo mixed w/ Gen Chem though)

I am currently a freshman. Would it be "okay" to take Orgo I with Gen chem II at the same time? This is the only way that I can fit two semesters of gen chem in if I want to take the PCAT the summer after my sophmore year. Anyone have any better ideas? (What about taking orgo in the summer?)

Rundown of my schedule:

Freshman:
Fall - Precalc, Gen Bio 1
Spring - Calc, Gen Bio 2
Summer - Human Anatomy and Human Physiology

Sophmore:
Fall - Gen Chem I, public speaking
Spring - Microbiology, Orgo I, Gen Chem II
Summer - study for PCAT, take at the end

I thought Gen Chem II and Orgo I were easy. I would take them together. The only subjects within GenChem II that seem to give people problems are the acid-base reactions and dilutions. You basically just need to know the strong bases, weak bases and strong acids, weak acids. Learn that stuff and you're good to go. There is a list in your book that you might want to memorize beforehand ;)

I took them both at the same time. I am a math person, so gen chem 2 was easier than organic to me. I had the same teacher for those classes and they were back to back (9:30-10:45 then 11-12:15). My teacher liked to get all her grading done at the same time, so EVERY time I had a test in one class, I had a quiz in the other. Every single time. So my grades went up and down the entire semester because I would obviously focus more on tests than quizzes. I ended up with C's in both, but I really wish I could have done better.