Taking Orgo II P/F?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedanon16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! With COVID-19, my school is offering opt-in P/F for courses, and I am considering taking Orgo II P/F. My thought process is that since Orgo II isn't a prerequisite for most med schools I'm interested in anyways it shouldn't be a huge deal, but I'm not sure, as I know many med schools still value taking a class for a letter grade even despite policies saying they will accept P this semester. The pre-health adviser at my school told me to take it P/F given that I don't think I'll do very well if I take it for a grade. F on the first exam and B on the second, but still have the final which is worth an insane 50% of the final grade. However, we have to choose if we want P/F before the final. I am not planning on taking any other courses P/F, and I'm slated to do well (A / A-) in all of them, which includes two BCPM courses. What should I do?? If it helps at all for background, I'm a sophomore at a top-20 university, and didn't do too well in Orgo I (B-) but did get an A in Orgo I lab. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! With COVID-19, my school is offering opt-in P/F for courses, and I am considering taking Orgo II P/F. My thought process is that since Orgo II isn't a prerequisite for most med schools I'm interested in anyways it shouldn't be a huge deal, but I'm not sure, as I know many med schools still value taking a class for a letter grade even despite policies saying they will accept P this semester. The pre-health adviser at my school told me to take it P/F given that I don't think I'll do very well if I take it for a grade. F on the first exam and B on the second, but still have the final which is worth an insane 50% of the final grade. However, we have to choose if we want P/F before the final. I am not planning on taking any other courses P/F, and I'm slated to do well (A / A-) in all of them, which includes two BCPM courses. What should I do?? If it helps at all for background, I'm a sophomore at a top-20 university, and didn't do too well in Orgo I (B-) but did get an A in Orgo I lab. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks.
If you can get a C then do not P/F it. Anything lower and you should consider doing P/F. Just my opinion!

The optics of selectively P/F'ing this class will be clear. Orgo II was your opportunity to redeem yourself from Orgo I, and seeing it selectively P/F'd will strongly suggest that you failed to do that. Schools may ask about one's rationales for opting into P/F. COVID-19 should not be treated a free pass. Just my thoughts

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No.

Stop.

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

I feel like we need to sticky something that says “UNDER ALMOST NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD YOU VOLUNTARILY TAKE A ‘P’ IN A CLASS”.

The “P” is pretty universally seen as a “C” or “C-“. With the current situation and people being able to freely take such a grade, I would expect Ps from this semester (and summer, etc.) to carry a very negative connotation.

All a P says is “I can’t make a B or an A so I took a P”. Don’t do that. Don’t be that guy.

No.

Stop.

I feel like we need to sticky something that says “UNDER ALMOST NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD YOU VOLUNTARILY TAKE A ‘P’ IN A CLASS”.

The “P” is pretty universally seen as a “C” or “C-“. With the current situation and people being able to freely take such a grade, I would expect Ps from this semester (and summer, etc.) to carry a very negative connotation.

All a P says is “I can’t make a B or an A so I took a P”. Don’t do that. Don’t be that guy.
What if the P is for some humanities/writing class that is just a college requirement and all MD pre-reqs are letter grades?

No.

Stop.

TMDSAS has said this on their website

"TMDSAS member institutions have agreed to accept all courses graded as pass/fail or credit/no-credit as equivalent to graded courses during the COVID-19 pandemic, specifically the spring 2020 academic term (including winter 2020 quarter term). Member institutions will continue to review candidates utilizing a holistic, individualized review process, considering candidates based on the totality of their academic career. "

It may be semantics but does this mean they will accept P/F courses AND view them equal to graded courses?

TMDSAS has said this on their website

"TMDSAS member institutions have agreed to accept all courses graded as pass/fail or credit/no-credit as equivalent to graded courses during the COVID-19 pandemic, specifically the spring 2020 academic term (including winter 2020 quarter term). Member institutions will continue to review candidates utilizing a holistic, individualized review process, considering candidates based on the totality of their academic career. "

It may be semantics but does this mean they will accept P/F courses AND view them equal to graded courses?

Of course they’ll “accept” the course - you did pass.

The minimum acceptable score for a class is a C. This is not an invitation to get Cs.

Last edited: