Taking out money during semester with a private loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kj8210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so the question I have is more of a financial one. I'm currently paying for medical school with a private loan from Sallie Mae but when I first accepted it, I didn't take out much more than the cost of tuition. However, now I'm starting to realize that I might need more than I thought and I was wondering what that process was like? Is it a simple process? I'm going to speak with my financial aid ad visor this week but I was hoping to get some input from anyone that has been through the process. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

taking out cost of attendence, which is tuition plus living expenses,

isn't going to cover any major purchases

you need to figure out if the "cost of attendence" covers
-any car or other transportation expenses like bus pass (typically not, sometimes you can get a loan for car repair, but purchase is often separate)
-any tech like a computer, ipad, phone, etc, (school aid allows you to add in a one time amount for computer purchase, some schools provide some of this tech or include the cost in COA)
-sometimes the book amount estimated by your school is way too low for the books you actually need
-to my knowledge the USMLE test fees are not covered, certainly the question banks are not, and travel for Step 2 CS is most certainly not
-when you interview 4th year for residency positions, this is NOT factored into COA
-when you move for residency, first month/last month/security deposit, and any expenses to live on until your first residency paycheck (which can take a few weeks or a month to get)
-don't forget health insurance or out of pocket med expenses, for residency
-suit for interviews, suitcase, etc travel stuff

Reactions: 1 user