Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Taking Physiology/Anatomy in College

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DoctorSaab, Apr 28, 2004.

1. DoctorSaab

DoctorSaab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Physiology/Anatomy classes arent a requirement in college for dental school. For me, they are also not a requirement for my biology major.

I was wondering if you guys think people should take those classes in college anyway? We have to learn it all over again in dental school. Don't people usually forget the material? It would seem pointless to take this class when you are gonna forget the material and have to learn it again in depth later.

What do you guys think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    i think it would only benefit you. i am taking anatomy and i kow that i would forget a lot of it by the time i start dental school in 2 months. however, don't you think anatomy in dental school would be a lot easier if you have taken it once before already?

i think it would.

4. drPheta

drPheta Some random guy
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Physiology helped somewhat, but I'm a visualizer and enjoy learning about how things work.

I never took anatomy until I got to d-school, and I had "no pwofeshunal expewience whatsoeva." Let me just say that did not hinder me one bit with the course or material.

5. DoctorSaab

DoctorSaab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think I am either going to put these 2 courses off til final semester of senior year or not take them at all. Physiology is probably more important because it ties all the other things you have learned about in other classes.

6. TalulaJem

TalulaJem Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I don't exactly remember how much physiology was on the DAT, but taking the class will definitely help you prepare. Plus, it's really interesting, too.

7. jes1ca

jes1ca OP Resident
    7+ Year Member

If you have the choice of taking it, it's a great idea.

Jessica

8. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

I totally agree.

Don't take it for granted by taking them, the courses are great preps for D1.

9. Midoc

Midoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I would highly recommend you take physiology before dental school. It helped me quite a bit having previous knowledge to work with during a class that was indepth and fast paced.

10. Cheeks1038

Cheeks1038 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would absolutely take both classes. I had taken animal physiology in undergrad and in-depth courses in physiology in grad school (endocrinology and human physiology) and during one of interviews, the interviewer asked multiple questions about the physiology courses. He also asked why I had not taken anatomy and recommended that I take it as an audited course since it was not offered in my MS program. I still got in there without the course, but either way, he definitely felt the need to talk about those 2 specific courses. As many have said, taking both courses can only help you.

Andy

11. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry will become standard pre-requisites for D-schools in the near future. Some schools like IUSD and Tufts already have them as admission required coursework.