Taking Physiology/Anatomy in College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Physiology/Anatomy classes arent a requirement in college for dental school. For me, they are also not a requirement for my biology major.

I was wondering if you guys think people should take those classes in college anyway? We have to learn it all over again in dental school. Don't people usually forget the material? It would seem pointless to take this class when you are gonna forget the material and have to learn it again in depth later.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

i think it would only benefit you. i am taking anatomy and i kow that i would forget a lot of it by the time i start dental school in 2 months. however, don't you think anatomy in dental school would be a lot easier if you have taken it once before already?

i think it would.

Physiology helped somewhat, but I'm a visualizer and enjoy learning about how things work.

I never took anatomy until I got to d-school, and I had "no pwofeshunal expewience whatsoeva." Let me just say that did not hinder me one bit with the course or material.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I am either going to put these 2 courses off til final semester of senior year or not take them at all. Physiology is probably more important because it ties all the other things you have learned about in other classes.

I don't exactly remember how much physiology was on the DAT, but taking the class will definitely help you prepare. Plus, it's really interesting, too.

If you have the choice of taking it, it's a great idea.

Jessica

jes1ca said:
If you have the choice of taking it, it's a great idea.

Jessica
I totally agree.

Don't take it for granted by taking them, the courses are great preps for D1.

I would highly recommend you take physiology before dental school. It helped me quite a bit having previous knowledge to work with during a class that was indepth and fast paced.

I would absolutely take both classes. I had taken animal physiology in undergrad and in-depth courses in physiology in grad school (endocrinology and human physiology) and during one of interviews, the interviewer asked multiple questions about the physiology courses. He also asked why I had not taken anatomy and recommended that I take it as an audited course since it was not offered in my MS program. I still got in there without the course, but either way, he definitely felt the need to talk about those 2 specific courses. As many have said, taking both courses can only help you.

Andy

Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry will become standard pre-requisites for D-schools in the near future. Some schools like IUSD and Tufts already have them as admission required coursework.