Taking Practice Test Daily

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ascg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically im constrained with time. I have less 2 weeks left and have been taking a kaplan full length or sometimes instead an aamc daily, without the essay section.

Is this a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically im constrained with time. I have less 2 weeks left and have been taking a kaplan full length or sometimes instead an aamc daily, without the essay section.

Is this a bad idea?

I have been taking a 2 or 3 FL's every week w/o the essay section. If you are strong writer its probably not an issue as most people are see the writing section as "break" to give their minds time to rest before the bio section. I think taking a test everyday is overkill though as it probably is not giving you adequate time to review the exams and learn the material you are still weak in unless you are scoring like 12+ in each section (except maybe verbal).

its about quality not quantity--practice tests only help with stamina and knowing what kind of material you will see and know what your weaknesses are, only need to do a few then focus on weaknesses and work no them

Members don't see this ad :)
Op here, im scoring 33-35 on kaplans

Take an AAMC and see what you get. Kaplan's scores are over inflated - meaning you can miss more and still get a good score. AAMC has "easier" tests and a harder scale - meaning you can not miss nearly as many. I would say stop with the Kaplan exams and start taking AAMC exams and see where you score goes. It could stay the same, go up, or drop, depending on why you are missing questions and what type of questions you are missing. If you are taking the May 24th test date I would probably (actually I am) taking AAMC 11 this weekend to see what my score is because that is supposed to be the most representative of the current MCAT. After that take like AAMC 7, 8, 9, 10 as those are also somewhat predictive of your score - at least more so than Kaplan's FL

The inflation has been explained as follows:
Why Kaplan is so generous with the conversions is because the Kaplan Full-Length exams were originally designed to be much more challenging than the actual AAMC MCAT on Test Day. What has happened over the years is that the real MCAT increased in difficulty to what the Kaplan full-lengths are like, but the Kaplan score conversion may be too generous compared to today's actual MCAT score conversion tables. Does this explanation make any sense? So...the real MCAT will be as challenging as the Kaplan full-lengths, but you probably won't score as high.

What you CAN do is to check your raw Kaplan FL score, then use the AAMC conversion tables to get a closer estimate of what your scaled score might be. (To see the AAMC FL conversion tables, open up your online Kaptest syllabus. Then, choose the tab "Toolbox," click on "AAMC Practice Tests" and in the new window, look on the left hand menu bar for "How is the test scored." Multiple score conversion tables will come up - one for each AAMC practice test.

Only you know what you can handle. Some can benefit from it and others can't. Don't take advice on your studying schedule from strangers on the internet, and just do what you feel works for you.