Taking practice tests while working on your weaknesses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danny89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one got a low score on AAMC #3 and low percentages on AAMC self assessments after doing content review, is it a waste of AAMC practice tests if they still do one every week while still working on their weaknesses? Should they just resume after thorough practice on their weaknesses when the exam's 4 weeks away?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have other practice tests, I would do them first. Save the AAMCs until closer to the test (<3-4 weeks). I think the consensus is that AAMCs are USUALLY the most similar to the actual MCAT. They are precious =))

If you have other practice tests, I would do them first. Save the AAMCs until closer to the test (<3-4 weeks). I think the consensus is that AAMCs are USUALLY the most similar to the actual MCAT. They are precious =))

Can I buy any Kaplan or TPR practice exams? If not, should I even bother taking their free practice tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming that you're applying this cycle and can't'delay no matter what, this is what I would suggest. Quit all your commitments and go all out studying for these next 4 weeks. Also, it would help if you could say what minimum score you're aiming for (ie high 20's) and where you're at (ie low 20s).
The practice exams you could buy are 7 Berkeley Reviews, 10 Gold Standards and the TPR cracking and review series ones from their books (their course has some of these same ones). To save time, you could just do the science sections of GS and spend the rest of the day going over content. Let's say doing all 10 takes you 2 weeks. The last 2 weeks can be spent doing aamc's every other day to every 3 days, with rest the day before the exam.

You would probably be better off delaying until 9/11 or until next year, but maybe try something like the above if you have to take it on your current date. If you end up delaying until next year, you'll probably forget most of the studying you've done so far. So don't commit and waste aamc materials if you're unsure of postponing or not.

I already did.

By low score, he's assuming you scored like low 20's or lower. This would mean that you probably still have severe content weaknesses and regardless of whether you've read through your set of books, you should go over them again. I basically used the full the full tbr set last summer, but just because I finished the books doesn't mean I was ready for content for this year's test.

By low score, he's assuming you scored like low 20's or lower. This would mean that you probably still have severe content weaknesses and regardless of whether you've read through your set of books, you should go over them again. I basically used the full the full tbr set last summer, but just because I finished the books doesn't mean I was ready for content for this year's test.

For my weaknesses (as indicated from the self assessments), I'll just re-read my notes, skim through the chapters and do corresponding passages/EK1001's. I know I have content gaps, but I don't want to fall behind on taking practice tests.

Last edited:
For my weaknesses (as indicated from the self assessments), I'll just re-read my notes, skim through the chapters and do corresponding passages/EK1001's. I know I have content gaps, but I don't want to fall behind on taking practice tests.

Just do as many passages as you can pertaining to your weaknesses and read the answer explanations. Practice passages will reinforce the concepts, and the answer explanations will include any important information from the chapter (assuming you are using TBR). Don't waste time re-reading notes/chapters. I would just dive into practice passages (TPRH is better for learning the concepts, TBR is better for applying concepts). I would use TPRH for your weak areas and then use TBR passages once you feel more comfortable, and review the answer explanations (this is key...). Also, I think EK 1001 is a waste of time when there are passages available for practice.

Just do as many passages as you can pertaining to your weaknesses and read the answer explanations. Practice passages will reinforce the concepts, and the answer explanations will include any important information from the chapter (assuming you are using TBR). Don't waste time re-reading notes/chapters. I would just dive into practice passages (TPRH is better for learning the concepts, TBR is better for applying concepts). I would use TPRH for your weak areas and then use TBR passages once you feel more comfortable, and review the answer explanations (this is key...). Also, I think EK 1001 is a waste of time when there are passages available for practice.

As for verbal, I'm almost done with TPR verbal workbook. I may have to bite the bullet and start doing EK101's VR passages.