Taking pre-med courses post-bac at community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbear98

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I wanted to go to medical school all throughout high school, but had a slight change of heart and changed majors to communications/media studies with a minor in public health. I have recently gotten involved in clinical research as a RA and communications intern at a research lab (UCSF) and am once again realizing that I want to go to medical school, this time more certain than ever.

I'm only 18 but about to transfer to UC Berkeley as a junior. I took a bunch of college classes through my CC in high school hence my junior standing. Unfortunately, this means I will only have two (maybe three, if I'm lucky) years at UC Berkeley as an undergrad, with little room/time to take science pre-reqs for med school.

After I graduate in two years, my plan is to take the remaining pre-reqs at my local CC while also working in a research lab. I haven't been in the pre-med loop since my senior year of high school and am not all that certain on the consensus regarding community college credits for med school. I know people suggest taking at least some upper division classes at a large university, but I'm afraid I won't have that much wiggle room once at Berkeley. It'll be pretty much impossible to change my majors or complete the lower-division classes in two years along with my major requirements.

I plan on taking a few medical oriented electives while at Cal in addition to my communications and public health classes (ex: nutritional epidemiology). If I do this while also completing the rest of my pre-reqs at community college, should I be OK applying to medical school (assuming I do well on my MCAT, get involved in research, and do well in all my classes)? I did take calculus, a few bio electives, and the first semester of general chem at my CC and am hovering around a 3.9

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't quite know how these forums show up in search/threads, but please boost

I met an M1 at Stanford who told me that he took a few courses at a cc. I think it depends on the situation, but I'm guessing you should be fine.