Taking pre-med seriously...as a Junior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pogiss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been around this site for a while, but now I've actually mustered up the courage to talk about my failures up to this point. To sum it all up, I've done terribly my first 2.5 years of undergrad at a state university.
Because of this, I'm seriously considering doing a 5th year and graduating with a major in cell biology.
My grades in Orgo 1,2 have both been C's, along with a C+ in physics2 and I failed biochem. I did well in Bio, Chem, Physics 1(all A's)

I'm not going to make excuses and say I've had family problems or anything like that. I take full responsibility for lacking worth ethic and for showing little to no commitment to achieving my dream of becoming a doctor.

I wouldn't say I'm a stupid person (although stupid in the sense that it took me this long to come this realization). Additionally, I would say I've never really put in the work in any of my undergrad classes, even those I've received (wouldn't say earned) A's in. All I know is that I'm willing to seriously commit my time and hard work from this point forward to do extremely well and get into medical school.

My question: Is there still a chance I may have the ability to get into medical school (preferably allopathic)? Also should I retake Organic Chem during the school year with the same professors and study my @#$ off or take it over the summer at a really solid school like Columbia? I know I'm capable of more than some of those grades show =/ and it saddens me that these grades are now part of my academic record. Thanks in advance!:)

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been around this site for a while, but now I've actually mustered up the courage to talk about my failures up to this point. To sum it all up, I've done terribly my first 2.5 years of undergrad at a state university.
Because of this, I'm seriously considering doing a 5th year and graduating with a major in cell biology.
My grades in Orgo 1,2 have both been C's, along with a C+ in physics2 and I failed biochem. I did well in Bio, Chem, Physics 1(all A's)

I'm not going to make excuses and say I've had family problems or anything like that. I take full responsibility for lacking worth ethic and for showing little to no commitment to achieving my dream of becoming a doctor.

I wouldn't say I'm a stupid person (although stupid in the sense that it took me this long to come this realization). Additionally, I would say I've never really put in the work in any of my undergrad classes, even those I've received (wouldn't say earned) A's in. All I know is that I'm willing to seriously commit my time and hard work from this point forward to do extremely well and get into medical school.

My question:
1) Is there still a chance I may have the ability to get into medical school (preferably allopathic)?
2) Also should I retake Organic Chem during the school year with the same professors and study my @#$ off or take it over the summer at a really solid school like Columbia?
1) Depending on the time and financial resources you are willing to commit, and the excellence of your grades from this time forward, a med school acceptance is within your reach. Certainly for osteopathic, and possibly for allopathic (it would help to know your cGPA and BCPM GPA and total credit hours right now so as to see how much damage control needs to be done).

2) I suggest retaking at the same school, if possible. You'll need to retake Biochem as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I do have the resources to stay an extra year so it wouldn't be a problem to graduate a year later than expected.

Specifically, my BCPM GPA is 2.9 and cGPA (I'm guessing undergrad) is 3.3 I have taken about 92 credits (of which 80 have been for a grade due to credits coming in).

And thanks for the advice. I didn't mention retaking Biochem, because I was definitely going to retake the course. Thanks for the words of motivation, btw =]

By my admittedly rough calculations, if you average a 3.7 GPA over the next 5 semesters, you'd have a 3.5 at graduation after the fifth year (with a total of 155 graded credits). With a strong MCAT score or lenient state school, you might get into an allopathic school.

If you got a 4.0 for the same timeframe, you'd be at a 3.6 (added for motivation) which is reasonably competitive with a decent MCAT score (say 32+).

If your academic road isn't as smooth as projected, you could do an (expensive) SMP (Special Masters Program) to help override your undergrad performance if your MCAT is 30+. You can read more about these in the Postbac Programs Forum.

wow, didn't think it could be improved that drastically! Now, I have to make sure that I work towards it and as hard as I ever have.

Thanks for the words of advice!:)

P.S. Any other tips you have about undergrad or just premed in general? You seem like a very wise person with tons of knowledge!

1) wow, didn't think it could be improved that drastically! Now, I have to make sure that I work towards it and as hard as I ever have.

2) Any other tips you have about undergrad or just premed in general?
1) You should do a calculation to see how your BCPM GPA will be depending on science and math classes you plan to take. That is a separate issue that must be attended to and may slant your future course choices depending on what you want to improve it to.

2) Read these forums widely. There is much to learn here from the accumulated wisdom of applicants over the last ten years.