Taking pre. rec into classes at CC. What do you all suggest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3v0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just met with an advisor about transferring schools and I had a few things mixed up in my plan. Basically they have a list of classes that you must have done by the time you enroll at UIC, Loyola and Depaul. I'm meeting with 2 of these schools advisors the 24th but it seems I need to get pre-calc and either Gen. Chem or Gen. Bio done by the time I will be attending. So I have two options.
Take Pre-Cal and One of those classes over an 8 week summer course or stay another semester at CC and take all 3 during my fall semester, then transfer.
I'm just curious though, if they dont let me in before I finished these classes (UIC might) how bad is it that I took these at a community college? From what I hear if its a few classes then it's fine to take at a CC but you NEED to get an A or it looks absolutely horrible. How many of you have done this?

This brings me to one more question, if for some reason pre-med doesn't work out I'd like to pursue pre-dental. Do dental school accept CC grades like this? From my search's I got a lot of mixed answers but they were all very old threads.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people go to med school/ dental school starting off from a CC. I don't really want to go too much in to detail because I've responded to this topic many times before (use the search function to find other topics like this).

In short:
Do well in CC, do well in university, do well in MCAT/DATs, have good ECs and you shouldn't have much problems.

A lot of people go to med school/ dental school starting off from a CC. I don't really want to go too much in to detail because I've responded to this topic many times before (use the search function to find other topics like this).

In short:
Do well in CC, do well in university, do well in MCAT/DATs, have good ECs and you shouldn't have much problems.

Thanks! I've spent the last 45min just cruising the forum looking at this topic. It seems that unless ur taking ALL ur pre-recs or such "weeders" as organic at CC it shouldnt be a problem. I'll just be taking 1 or 2 at CC.
If I'm wrong on any of this let me know. But if anyone has solid info about how dental schools stand with CC then please post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I've spent the last 45min just cruising the forum looking at this topic. It seems that unless ur taking ALL ur pre-recs or such "weeders" as organic at CC it shouldnt be a problem. I'll just be taking 1 or 2 at CC.
If I'm wrong on any of this let me know. But if anyone has solid info about how dental schools stand with CC then please post.
You'll have to ask about that in the pre-dent forum, but to clarify the CC issue: taking all your prereq's at a CC is completely fine if you're not simultaneously enrolled at a 4-year university.

You'll have to ask about that in the pre-dent forum, but to clarify the CC issue: taking all your prereq's at a CC is completely fine if you're not simultaneously enrolled at a 4-year university.

This +1