Taking pre-req classes at a CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krypton36

MSTP Hopeful
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently at a CC and am scheduled to take General Chemistry I. Does this look bad when applying to medical school? I'm doing engineering, so I really don't think it's very prudent to wait over a year to take Gen Chem.

Members don't see this ad.

My roommate did her Gen Chem I at her comm college after consulting a bunch of peer/academic advisors. Generally they answered that it was okay, as long as you do well in OChem at your university afterwords.

I think it's a rule of thumb that doing 1 (or even 2) prereqs at a community college is alright if scheduling didn't work out or something of the sort. You just have to prove that you're a good student through doing well in your other prereq at your university.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just realized you're a CC student. I mean...I guess you really have no choice but to take your Gen Chem at your CC, right? Ace all your classes now, and then when you transfer to a state school/university (which you should at some point), then just ace all your classes there too!

My roommate did her Gen Chem I at her comm college after consulting a bunch of peer/academic advisors. Generally they answered that it was okay, as long as you do well in OChem at your university afterwords.

I think it's a rule of thumb that doing 1 (or even 2) prereqs at a community college is alright if scheduling didn't work out or something of the sort. You just have to prove that you're a good student through doing well in your other prereq at your university.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just realized you're a CC student. I mean...I guess you really have no choice but to take your Gen Chem at your CC, right? When you transfer (which you should at some point), then just ace all your classes!

I understand. My GPA is still a 4.00, but I don't want to bombard myself when I transfer (probably going to a competitive school when letters come back) with all of these pre-req classes.

Members don't see this ad :)

EDIT: Oh wait, I just realized you're a CC student. I mean...I guess you really have no choice but to take your Gen Chem at your CC, right? Ace all your classes now, and then when you transfer to a state school/university (which you should at some point), then just ace all your classes there too!

That's the plan, sir. Thanks!

It's fine to take a few at a CC but not all.

I would recommend just taking English, general bio 1/2 and general chem 1/2
then take the rest when you transfer on top of upper level science courses

It's fine to take a few at a CC but not all.

I would recommend just taking English, general bio 1/2 and general chem 1/2
then take the rest when you transfer on top of upper level science courses

I don't plan on taking Physics or oChem at the CC, but why is it such a big deal? As long as I take upper level science/math (I have to for engineering anyway), I don't see the problem.

If you do a good search here there are many, MANY responses to you question.

Yes you will find States and students that wont recommend/take CC classes for higher level sciences...and you will find States and students who did all of their Pre-Med at CC and had no problems getting in.

I am a TX resident and am doing all of my classes at CC. I dont expect any problems.

If i dont get in the first try after my 90 credits i may transfer to a University to complete my Bac.

If you do a good search here there are many, MANY responses to you question.

Yes you will find States and students that wont recommend/take CC classes for higher level sciences...and you will find States and students who did all of their Pre-Med at CC and had no problems getting in.

I am a TX resident and am doing all of my classes at CC. I dont expect any problems.

If i dont get in the first try after my 90 credits i may transfer to a University to complete my Bac.

don't get in where you're first try? You do realize that you can't go straight from community college to medical school, right?

I understand. My GPA is still a 4.00, but I don't want to bombard myself when I transfer (probably going to a competitive school when letters come back) with all of these pre-req classes.
I took all my prereq at a CC all gen and orgo chem, bio and all physics. I was a biochem major so I still had a bunch of science classes I took when I transfered so that was fine. I think as long as you maintain a good GPA and dont fail everything as you transfer, you should be fine. I think you generally have to explain if you are in a 4 year univ and take prereq at CC during summer or something. But if the transition is smooth and you still have enough science classes to take when you transfer then you are good to go

Please use the Search engine next time as there are tons of these threads (a few of them are even from this week).

To answer your question, no taking a prereq at a CC does not look bad but it does however mean you have to do well on your MCAT and your upper division classes after you transfer so there is no doubt that you can handle the material.

As long as you're not enrolled in a university while taking a class at CC I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter ... unless you C or below a CC course then that is embarrassing.

don't get in where you're first try? You do realize that you can't go straight from community college to medical school, right?

Texas say sas long as you have 90 credits you certainly can. Better chances with a Bac obviously. But it's there. And im going to try.

I believe it most school state any accredited institution that meet the criteria. Northwest Vista here in San antonio has a Pre-med course and they also have transfer agreements with UTSA. so either way i am covered.

I don't plan on taking Physics or oChem at the CC, but why is it such a big deal? As long as I take upper level science/math (I have to for engineering anyway), I don't see the problem.

Yea it really isn't a big deal, but they might see it as your trying to get rid of the pre-med requirements at a CC because they are "easier"

Also, i wouldn't recommend it because you might not learn anything. But, ultimately it all depends on the professor anyways so...If you had no choice, then just take all at a CC then make sure to take "upper level science courses" at a university= that's the imporant thing

I took most of my pre-reqs at a CC. It was probably the biggest mistake ever. Even though after I transferred I maintained a 3.7 at my 4 year University I got straight rejected from all the schools. I had to get a Masters in order for schools to over look the CC credits. Even then a lotta schools just told me straight up "NOPE. RETAKE THOSE PRE-REQS."

Texas say sas long as you have 90 credits you certainly can. Better chances with a Bac obviously. But it's there. And im going to try.

I believe it most school state any accredited institution that meet the criteria. Northwest Vista here in San antonio has a Pre-med course and they also have transfer agreements with UTSA. so either way i am covered.

It was my understanding that you have to complete a bachelors degree to go to medical school. Fulfilling the premed requirement is not sufficient.

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/education_Requirements.html

"Education Requirements for Medical School

Applicants must have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours (or 134 quarter hours) at a regionally accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university.
All pre-medical requirements listed in the table below must have been completed at a regionally accredited US or Canadian University. Courses which do not conform to this requirement will not be accepted, even if credit has been given for them by a US or Canadian school.
Each required course, listed in the table below, must be completed with a grade of C or better. Courses taken Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit do not count towards meeting the requirement.
Advanced placement credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript. Lump sum credit is not accepted.
Graduate courses do not satisfy the 90 hour requirement OR the required coursework.
All required coursework must be completed before or by the time of enrollment into the medical school.
Baccalaureate degrees are highly desirable. However, exceptionally mature students without a degree, who have outstanding academic records, superior performance on the respective admissions test and highly desirable personal qualifications may be considered for admission. "

:)

Hopefully it will help a very non-trad guy like me get in!

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/education_Requirements.html

"Education Requirements for Medical School

Applicants must have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours (or 134 quarter hours) at a regionally accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university.
All pre-medical requirements listed in the table below must have been completed at a regionally accredited US or Canadian University. Courses which do not conform to this requirement will not be accepted, even if credit has been given for them by a US or Canadian school.
Each required course, listed in the table below, must be completed with a grade of C or better. Courses taken Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit do not count towards meeting the requirement.
Advanced placement credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript. Lump sum credit is not accepted.
Graduate courses do not satisfy the 90 hour requirement OR the required coursework.
All required coursework must be completed before or by the time of enrollment into the medical school.
Baccalaureate degrees are highly desirable. However, exceptionally mature students without a degree, who have outstanding academic records, superior performance on the respective admissions test and highly desirable personal qualifications may be considered for admission. "

:)

Wow. That's pretty cool. :)

I took most of my pre-reqs at a CC. It was probably the biggest mistake ever. Even though after I transferred I maintained a 3.7 at my 4 year University I got straight rejected from all the schools. I had to get a Masters in order for schools to over look the CC credits. Even then a lotta schools just told me straight up "NOPE. RETAKE THOSE PRE-REQS."

Couldn't you have taken a post-baccalaureate for those pre-requisites instead of wasting money on a masters? Why did your CC credits even come up after your masters degree? That's ludicrous.

I hope I'll be able to transfer to a competitive undergrad after this, because I'd like to go to a top medical school and it sounds as if these CC credits will hurt me.