TAKING pre requisites at a CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddy1000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people! I know this question is common here but I am still confused! This is my case: I came a year and a half ago to this country. I finished my high school in my country and I was already doing my semester in med school. However, when I came here, I had no idea of how the process was for med school and even worse, my language skills were terrible but in almost a year I could be able to overcome this adversity in a community college. Now I am already done with my freshman year because I have taken too many classes(some paired with my ESL classes) and some summer classes, but I am aware that I still need to take physics I and II, Organic Chemistry I and II and Bio II.....I am done with Chemistry I, Calculus I, Composition I and II, and Biology I; I am gonna take chem II next week during summer....My gpa so far was 4.0, and I was so happy until a couple of hours ago because my mom came to my home saying that she was talking with a couple of friends of her job and they told her that their children are taking their pre requisites in a 4 year university instead of a community college because med school don't take some applications seriously if these prerequisites are taken in a CC. I am actually worried of this because I was planning to finish all my pre requisites in this community college but I have heard these kind of rumors from other friends too and I don't know what to do :( I will thank everyone who is able to give a great opinion. I will appreciate his or her time!!

and sorry for the grammar mistakes!!

Members don't see this ad.

Successful applicants have started at a community college...to apply to medical schools you need a bachelors degree, which means you need to transfer to a 4 year-university at some point to finish a degree there. When you transfer to a 4-year-university, take upper division science classes and perform well there. This is a route a lot successful applicants take. Use SDN, there is a lot of great info here. Use the search function in here to look for information pertaining to your situation and you will see people have been successful in the past. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools do not actually accept CC pre-req credits, but it's not uncommon for students to start at a CC, so don't worry about it.

I got an unrelated degree in another field from a 4-year university before doing all of my pre-reqs at a community college. No problems.

I will say that even at my relatively small med school, 99-100% (varies from year to year) of acceptances have at least a 4-year degree before applying. I would say that starting at a CC or going back to one like I did is fine, but I just want to make it clear you probably need a 4 yr degree, which you may or may not be able to get at your CC. Mine offered a couple, though a lot don't. Also, a little bit of time on the websites of your med schools of choice could probably confirm this on a case-to-case basis.

Keep up the good work on your GPA, and keep working on your English! Those MCAT questions are hard for us native speakers :)

Successful applicants have started at a community college...to apply to medical schools you need a bachelors degree, which means you need to transfer to a 4 year-university at some point to finish a degree there. When you transfer to a 4-year-university, take upper division science classes and perform well there. This is a route a lot successful applicants take. Use SDN, there is a lot of great info here. Use the search function in here to look for information pertaining to your situation and you will see people have been successful in the past. Good luck.
Thank you so much!

Some schools do not actually accept CC pre-req credits, but it's not uncommon for students to start at a CC, so don't worry about it.
Thanks!!! I appreciate this answer!

I got an unrelated degree in another field from a 4-year university before doing all of my pre-reqs at a community college. No problems.

I will say that even at my relatively small med school, 99-100% (varies from year to year) of acceptances have at least a 4-year degree before applying. I would say that starting at a CC or going back to one like I did is fine, but I just want to make it clear you probably need a 4 yr degree, which you may or may not be able to get at your CC. Mine offered a couple, though a lot don't. Also, a little bit of time on the websites of your med schools of choice could probably confirm this on a case-to-case basis.

Keep up the good work on your GPA, and keep working on your English! Those MCAT questions are hard for us native speakers :)
Thank you so much!! your answer has helped me a lot!!! I am gonna do well in the MCAT and keep a good GPA!! I am just afraid of taking the upper level classes for sciences majors. I feel that's gonna kick my gpa but I'll do my best! thanks again!!

Several of the med schools that I am looking at seem to accept CC credits from what I can tell from the website.

Several of the med schools that I am looking at seem to accept CC credits from what I can tell from the website.

Most do. Check out the MSAR, it'll say on there. Creighton is the only one I know of that doesn't accept CC credits. They're an extreme exception though.

Move to 4 year University and take upper level courses. Many US MD accept cc credits but we all know that courses at cc are so easy and below national standard