taking premeds over summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneLove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools look down upon students who take their premed prereqs during the summer at a local university? (I plan to take them at stony brook on Long Island)
thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some admission lady came down to my school from UMass and said not to take them in the summer. I think she must be a minority in this summer class thing... because no one has said that they have ever had a problem with getting acceptences with summer classes... nor does it ever come up in interviews.

OneLove said:
Do medical schools look down upon students who take their premed prereqs during the summer at a local university? (I plan to take them at stony brook on Long Island)
thanks a lot

nope

i think that if you take them over the summer at a solid academic school then you'll be fine. i took both of my gen chems during the summer at uw-madison and got accepted to my top choice school.

yes to the above post.....i think it matters where you take the summer classes...it would be better to take them at a decent, respectable institution of higher learning....not to say that community colleges arent what I just said but i do believe adcoms will look more favorably on someone who took them at well-known schools....im sure if you had good reasons to take them at a community college, such as for financial reasons, then it may not be as big an issue