Taking prereqs online at 4 year vs at CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caloc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would look better? Taking Ochem II online through UNE (an accredited 4-year university) or in-person at a community college? I understand that either doing either option will probably leave me at a disadvantage.

I took the lecture + lab at my undergrad and passed the lab.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO it doesn't really matter where you take your prereqs as long as you can show adcoms that you can handle harder courses when you take them at a four year. I'm in the same boat as you, and I actually wanted to take orgo at cc but it won't transfer to a four year as a course I want it to. Also, a good thing to keep in mind is that taking orgo at a four year might be better because by that point, you will be close to taking the DAT, and so you won't have to brush up on it as much.

Depends on which schools you want to apply to. Some don't accept CC credits for prerequisite courses, but if that doesn't apply to you, I'd go with the cheaper option.

Members don't see this ad :)
CC. Brick and mortar looks better. Online classes, although significantly gaining popularity, are still "not as good as the real thing." Besides, some schools don't even accept them.

Which would look better? Taking Ochem II online through UNE (an accredited 4-year university) or in-person at a community college? I understand that either doing either option will probably leave me at a disadvantage.

I took the lecture + lab at my undergrad and passed the lab.
If you took lecture and lab at the University, but only passed the lab it's a different story. I recommend you retake the lecture at the same institution. The reason for this is because (even though it may not be the case) it may be perceived that you did not pass the lecture, so you looked for an "easier" course to take. Again, not saying that's the case, but your application will be reviewed by many people. I would find it a strong possibility that that thought may cross some minds.
If possible, I would avoid that situation.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with @schmoob I would look at that and think that you tried to go the easier route.

Thanks for the replies!

Just wanted to give an update. One school got back to me (OHSU) and they told me that they would prefer the UNE course over cc