Taking prerequisite at Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsxra4b6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone in California taken their prerequisites at The Integrated Science Program (ISP) is offered at Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU).

"The Integrated Science Program (ISP) is an accelerated college-level science curriculum enabling you to finish your science classes and prerequisites in an intensive, weekend-based, immersion-learning format, based in Southern California's Los Angeles metropolitan area.

Students immerse themselves for one month focusing on one accelerated science class subject at a time, similar to an intensive summer program but instead ISP is offered all year round."

I know western and ATSU will accept these classes, just checking if anyone took classes there and had problems with other dental school?

here is the link and accreditation http://www.scuhs.edu/academics/accreditations-affiliations/

Members don't see this ad.

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I would live to hear other people opinion on whether or not these are accepted at majority of dental schools

If this helps, I just got off the phone with a representative from there and they said that 85% of their students transfer to medical/dental school. She told me that about 95% of schools will accept their credits, and that it has the same accreditation as a UC/Cal State. She told me to call the school I plan on applying to just to double check, and she said they either say "Yeah we're familiar with them, and its no problem," or "Have them send us the curriculum to review it," and she said most of the time its approved. I don't know about you but I'm beyond excited for having found this program. I live 10 minutes from the campus too. I'll be calling a couple of dental schools today to make sure its not too good to be true, and then I'll spend less than a year getting all my pre req's out of the way. Amazing!

Members don't see this ad :)
If this helps, I just got off the phone with a representative from there and they said that 85% of their students transfer to medical/dental school. She told me that about 95% of schools will accept their credits, and that it has the same accreditation as a UC/Cal State. She told me to call the school I plan on applying to just to double check, and she said they either say "Yeah we're familiar with them, and its no problem," or "Have them send us the curriculum to review it," and she said most of the time its approved. I don't know about you but I'm beyond excited for having found this program. I live 10 minutes from the campus too. I'll be calling a couple of dental schools today to make sure its not too good to be true, and then I'll spend less than a year getting all my pre req's out of the way. Amazing!

Be prepared to spend a lot of cash. I just perused their website and it's roughly $1950 for one 4-credit class with a lab. If you take all of the pre-reqs most dental colleges require, you could approach $10,000+ in tuition.

However, what I think I like about this is that one could use the Gen Chem and O-Chem classes to study for the DAT - just take them prior to the test and fill in other nights with Bio, Math and PAT on your own. Keep in mind, though, that since these are just 4 full Saturdays of instruction, you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a TON of homework and studying between classes, which might detract from studying for other DAT subjects.

If I get accepted for 2014, I may take the Anatomy & Physiology course in the summer prior to starting D1, just to get a jump start.

Great idea - glad someone posted this!

I was waiting on responses from a few other dental schools before I got excited. So far the following dental schools have replied saying they will accept prerequisite taken as SCU:

Uconn
University of Pennsylvania
University of Maryland
NYU
Western
ATSU

I am still waiting on replies from other dental schools I emailed earlier this week. Boston University said NO. I am an hour and 30 minutes away from the campus, but I think it would be worth the long drives. I like the idea of just concentrating solely on one course at a time and knocking it out faster.

Thanks for the info^! Thats a pretty good list of schools. I'm at the point where I really don't care which dental school I get into, as long as I get in, so thats great news for me. I sent UCLA an email and I'll post here when they respond; thats where I would ideally like to go but they seem really strict if they say no I won't be too surprised.

Thanks for the info^! Thats a pretty good list of schools. I'm at the point where I really don't care which dental school I get into, as long as I get in, so thats great news for me. I sent UCLA an email and I'll post here when they respond; thats where I would ideally like to go but they seem really strict if they say no I won't be too surprised.

I take it you're in SoCal as well? I live in Temecula, but work in Irvine/Lake Forest, and am attempting to enter the 2014 year at all of the Socal schools, with a few out-of-state options.

Be prepared to spend a lot of cash. I just perused their website and it's roughly $1950 for one 4-credit class with a lab. If you take all of the pre-reqs most dental colleges require, you could approach $10,000+ in tuition.

I don't know anything about this program, but if each class is ~$2000 like you say, you're looking more at $16,000 for all 8 core classes (bio, phys, chem, ochem), and more like $20,000 if you decide to also take biochem and micro.

Yeah I'm from socal, specifically Brea if you know where that is :). Yeah 20k is a good chunk of money, but I think it just may be worth it to be able to finish all the pre reqs in about 9-10 months.

got responses from UCLA and UCSF that they will accept pre-reqs from SCU, but USC said NO

got responses from UCLA and UCSF that they will accept pre-reqs from SCU, but USC said NO

I wanted to bump this up, as I am now seriously considering postponing my DAT and application process until next year, taking 10 classes over 9-10 months in this program starting this summer through next March, and then the DAT and applying next year. My GPA isn't the most stellar, and it's been years since I've taken these courses. I think this decision will indeed make my chances go up exponentially on the DAT and acceptance, especially since re-taking pre-reqs will be very helpful in prepping for the DAT.

Anyone have a list of schools they've checked on with regards to these credits transferring?

Last edited:
here is the list of school i heard back from that accept their credits:

Uconn
University of Maryland
NYU
Western
ATSU
UCLA
UCSF
NOVA

the following said no: USC, LLUSD

those were the school i contacted, maybe you can contact the other Dental Schools that you plan on applying too and update this list.

Uconn
University of Maryland
NYU
Western
ATSU
UCLA
UCSF
NOVA

those were the school i contacted, maybe you can contact the other Dental Schools that you plan on applying too and update this list.

Thanks for this. How did you word your email to the schools regarding SCUHS? I have registered and will begin a 10-class marathon on June 29th. I am simply retaking all pre-reqs that I have had 15 years ago because some of the dental colleges I want to apply to have the 5 year statute of limitations. Also, in addition to beefing up my GPA, retaking these courses will no doubt greatly help in preparation for the DAT (I've postponed this until May/June 2014).

I'm excited to know that after only 9 months I will have retaken all 10 pre-reqs and will be very, very prepared to apply to dental school. Thanks to whomever posted this originally!

I will be emailing the schools to which I want to apply (USC was one, but apparently that's off the list now) asking about SCUHS credit acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Admission,
I am planning to take my dental school pre-requisite at Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU) http://www.integratedscienceprogram.com/accelerated-science-courses/. I wanted to know if these classes would full fill the pre-requisite even though it is intense/accelerated classes and the school is accredited? Please confirm if pre- requisites taken from this school would meet the requirements? Thanks in advanced for assisting with this.
Sincerely
XXX

Uconn
University of Maryland
NYU
Western
ATSU
UCLA
UCSF
NOVA

Update to this list. I did confirm USC and LLU do not take them. However, another school that will not is Tufts.

Thank you for all the good information you guys provided. anyone has any other news about the other university that accept their credits like UOP ? and also has anyone already enrolled or completed the program? please share your experience. I am really debating to enroll!

Update to this list. I did confirm USC and LLU do not take them. However, another school that will not is Tufts.
Thank you for all the good information you guys provided. anyone has any other news about the other university that accept their credits like UOP ? and also has anyone already enrolled or completed the program? please share your experience. I am really debating to enroll!

When I emailed UOP about accepting courses from SCU ISP program they email me back saying NO. I was trying to apply to their pharmacy school. I'm taking classes anatomy & physiology 1 at SCU ISP it's a really fast past. I like it because you don't have a chance to slack off. My professors is a MD btw. Great program if you need to get your science pre-reqs done fast.

When I emailed UOP about accepting courses from SCU ISP program they email me back saying NO. I was trying to apply to their pharmacy school. I'm taking classes anatomy & physiology 1 at SCU ISP it's a really fast past. I like it because you don't have a chance to slack off. My professors is a MD btw. Great program if you need to get your science pre-reqs done fast.
Thank you so much for your respond.That was really helpful to know about the program and classes,also now I know that I have to cross off one of them out of my list of good universities .I will enroll probably this fall.

No problem. The month goes by real fast. Good Luck Sara19
Thank you.I sent an email to UOP regarding the ISP courses and here is their respond:
You can take the courses only if they are transferrable to a 4-year institution (ie. CSU or UC). If the courses do transfer, then we will accept the classes. You can get this information from the counselors at SCU.

Thanks for the information. I guess you have to talk to the right people. I was thinking it doesn't make sense that UCSF would accept classes from SCU and UOP wouldn't. I'm going to have to check out UOP as well. If you need any information about the structure of SCU just inbox me.

Thanks for the information. I guess you have to talk to the right people. I was thinking it doesn't make sense that UCSF would accept classes from SCU and UOP wouldn't. I'm going to have to check out UOP as well. If you need any information about the structure of SCU just inbox me.
thank you, I will.

Does anyone have feedback from their experiences at SCU? How were the professors and workload? and any news of people getting into dental school with prerequisites from SCU?

Does anyone have feedback from their experiences at SCU? How were the professors and workload? and any news of people getting into dental school with prerequisites from SCU?
I am currently in USCHS. I think you meant this school because SCU is a privet and high ranked school which has a dental program also. I am in ISP program and I got an A from AP1 and I'm in AP2 now. It's really fast pace and pricey and lots of thing to learn in a short time. At the same time, it's not hard to get A also your done after a month! I loved that so far and all the teachers are Dr or have PHD. I am going to use my credits toward dental and I have friend that just applied.

My sister is finishing up her first class there (her final is on Wednesday). She is applying to PA school at the end of the year.

So far she's super happy about the program. She loves her professor and how quick it is to finish a class. She scored a 100% in her quiz and 98% on the midterm. She said it was "easy" bcos the material presented is straight forward and so are the questions (unlike UC testing system....she graduated from UCSD revently). She's going to take a few more classes with ISP.

I am actually going to start their program this February. Next weekend! I'm starting with physics 2! Distance is a bit far as I live in SD but I am Super excited to finish 8 pre-reqs in 8 months!!

Has anyone in California taken their prerequisites at The Integrated Science Program (ISP) is offered at Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU).

"The Integrated Science Program (ISP) is an accelerated college-level science curriculum enabling you to finish your science classes and prerequisites in an intensive, weekend-based, immersion-learning format, based in Southern California's Los Angeles metropolitan area.

Students immerse themselves for one month focusing on one accelerated science class subject at a time, similar to an intensive summer program but instead ISP is offered all year round."

I know western and ATSU will accept these classes, just checking if anyone took classes there and had problems with other dental school?

here is the link and accreditation http://www.scuhs.edu/academics/accreditations-affiliations/

I recently learned that SCU offers 17 accelerated science courses but there is no connection to ISP anymore as of a few months ago. The courses can be completed in 4 weekends. I like this option because there are so many courses, they can be completed quickly, and they are transferable because they have over 20 years of regional accreditation and they been established for over 100 years. Here is a link to the page that explains everything about their courses and upcoming start dates: http://www.scuhs.edu/academics/csih/accelerated-science-courses/

Hi there! I'm a future PT, applying to PT schools this year during the July-October period for schools in my area. My top two choices for schools are Samuel Merritt and UCSF/SFSU. I'm sorry for infiltrating this thread in the dental forum.... but...

I have a question about science prerequisites. I found information about the Integrated Science Program through Holy Names University in both Norcal and Socal (seems like it might be somehow affiliated, or maybe the same program as above but with a different name?). The below courses are the remaining prerequisites I need to complete (I actually don't need one of the chemistry classes or the biology classes, but figure it might be worth it to take them both since mine are older than 10 years and I could raise my initial grade).

Physics 1, Physics 2
Biology 1, Biology 2
General Chemistry 1, General Chemistry 2

I checked with Samuel Merrit, UCSF/SFSU and Holy Names... and these accelerated classes are accepted for the PT program.

Completing prereqs through the accelerated Integrated Science Program would allow me to continue volunteering at the VA Clinic in Livermore and at Sutter Hospital in San Francisco, which are both great opportunities where I am really building a foundation of knowledge and connections. I am hoping to keep those volunteer opportunities going as long as I can since I'm really enjoying both of them, but conventional science classes M-F makes the scheduling difficult.

The accelerated ISP classes are on the weekends, Saturday and Sunday from 8:30am to 6:30pm, for 4 weeks. Then a final exam Wednesday evening after the 4th week. You take just one class at a time. A semester worth of material is covered in 1 month.

I already have reference letters lined up from other professors and PTs that I have been volunteering with, so that's not needed. My Anatomy and Physiology classes (and all other prereqs) are through a typical 4 year university, are recent, and As.

I am thinking that for me, the accelerated ISP may be a good choice for these particular classes. If I don't take these classes, I will need to stop volunteering in order to make the time for the science classes offered at my university. The connections I'm making and what I'm learning while I volunteer seem much more important (and interesting) than making time for conventional undergrad physics and chemistry classes.

I'm infiltrating this thread because it seems like there were quite a few of you who had experience with these accelerated ISP courses. Anyone have any first hand experience with these accelerated ISP classes from Holy Names in the Norcal area at the Hayward campus? (here's info on the ISP: Accelerated Weekend College Science Courses Schedule & Calendar | ISP)

Reactions: 1 user