Taking science classes as independent study - looked down upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I am going to be applying in the spring of 2009, and will be taking the MCAT this fall. I am essentially done with all of my courses needed for the MCAT, aside from Physiology.

I currently intend to take Physio this summer as independent study. Will this be looked down upon by med schools? I'd rather not wait until the fall to take the course, as I could be using that semester to finish off some courses so I can graduate on time.

Also, has anyone maybe taken physio as independent study? Is this the kind of course I want to take on my own (without classmates to study with, teacher to ask questions, etc)?

Thanks for any advice/assistance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure I would recommend this. From what I have heard from my brother who did take it as an UG, it's a pretty tough course and he has a 4.0 BCPM and he struggled quite a bit. I actually ran this question by him and he said that it really did help him to have classmates and especially the professor. It seems like a pretty tough class and while I am sure it can be done (i.e some med students never go to class), you'll have to think whether or not you need the class time and if you can handle such a challenging course on your own.

As long as it isn't genchem, bio, orgo, or physics why not.