Taking Science Classes in the Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afabela

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wandering do medical schools really frown if students take science classes during the summer b/c i was planning on taking oragic chem 1 and physics 1 during the summer so i will be able to take organ chem 2 and physics 2 in the fall, to take the mcat in April. Thanks for your advise

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think it significantly matters, some schools might consider ur course load but i think thats for the fall/spring semesters.
just get a good grade, thats all!

Hi, i actualy think they might look at that is somethign tough to do.. especially if they remmber back when they or if they took a class like orgo in 5 weeks. I took orgo 1 and 2 in summer and it was hell, imean i didnt sleep or anyting,.. i did it with lab as well.. it was teh worst summer ever so to me it was much harder so if anyting i would say they wont frown upon it. I also found i learne dthe material alot better cause i could only focus on the one subject

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can handle it, w/ 2 labs and hard core intro classes, all the more POWER to you.

i plan to be taking orgo 1 & 2 and physics 1 & 2 and all labs this summer (if the schedule allows it). I sure hope it's possible.

Originally posted by afabela
I was wandering do medical schools really frown if students take science classes during the summer b/c i was planning on taking oragic chem 1 and physics 1 during the summer so i will be able to take organ chem 2 and physics 2 in the fall, to take the mcat in April. Thanks for your advise

I talked with 3 adcoms from 3 different schools about this topic... if you're going to take a science over the summer the short answer is be prepared to explain why.

that being said, you have a great explanation.

one thing, though, that those guys talked about was taking the summer course in podunk university compared to a good undergrad school you maybe attending during the normal school year. (they mentioned that taking classes (especially prereqs) at other universities that maybe perceived as easier may hurt you if you dont take those classes in your normal undergrad institutition...

just my $0.02

nappykat,
you can do it! that's almost exactly the course load i had this past
summer, plus working a few hours a week, and studying for and taking the
MCAT for the first time. i did fine
on the MCAT and in the classes (w/exception of one b-)
and am starting to interview now. . .
just be determined and when things get tough, know that it will be over
soon! best wishes for you this summer. :)

You're a sweetie care bear!

it probably doesnt matter if you take it at your undergrad school. if you take it elsewhere at a less prestigious school, it might raise eyebrows.

I think it depends on where you will be taking the classes. My pre-med counselor did not recommend taking important science classes outside of UCLA (for UCLA students). That's just my counselor's opinion, though. :) I think you'll be fine.

Originally posted by heelshmeel
I talked with 3 adcoms from 3 different schools about this topic... if you're going to take a science over the summer the short answer is be prepared to explain why.

I decided late that I was premed, so ended up taking all of organic with labs one summer, and all of physics with labs the next. I took them at a private university near, but nowhere as "good" a school as, my undergrad institution of Stanford. In 13 interviews last year I was never asked about it. I received 5 acceptances and 6 waitlists out of those 13 interviews. I would beware of taking the two classes with labs together during the regular school year, however.

Originally posted by SMW
I decided late that I was premed, so ended up taking all of organic with labs one summer, and all of physics with labs the next. I took them at a private university near, but nowhere as "good" a school as, my undergrad institution of Stanford. In 13 interviews last year I was never asked about it. I received 5 acceptances and 6 waitlists out of those 13 interviews. I would beware of taking the two classes with labs together during the regular school year, however.

True that...that is a whole fistful of lab reports to write up....

Oh, I almost forgot, welcome to SDN, afabela, care bear and mountainlander!! :)