Taking shortened exam end of September good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatDad26

MS2
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be reapplying next May 2021, and as of right now I plan to start my mcat studying Monday and take the exam September 27th. Since I'm not applying until next May, I could technically wait to take the exam until January and take the full length one.

I personally want to just endure the struggle now while I'm just fresh out of college and still have my study skills and a decent amount of knowledge retained. But is there a major benefit to taking the full exam in January? Is the shortened exam score ACTUALLY equivalent to the full length exams?

Also for reference, I've always been the person who likes to fly through exams and finishes first. When I took the MCAT january 2019 my issue was stamina and lack of preparation, so I think the shortened version may benefit me. Idk let me know what u guys think. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is a good idea to take the MCAT with the prerequisites fresh in your mind. The shortened exam is almost equivalent to the full length, but you have slightly less time per question, but I don't think that will be significant since everyone has less time per question. But you do have a shortened break on the shortened exam, at 10 minutes instead of 30 minutes. Also, you may have to take the exam with a mask, which would be annoying haha. I'm thinking of taking the exam in September too, and I'm not sure if I made the right decision. Also, be sure to think the questions through instead of rushing through them.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you are hitting in your goal zone, I would say let it fly. The more time you wait, the more details slip away. Also, if you are someone who tends to get antsy over long amount of time, you may be at an advantage with the shorter exam!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user