Taking stats P/NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedelicatessen

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I don't think I'm going to do very well in stats this quarter, I would like to take it P/NP. I've already taken multivariable calculus and gotten A's, so I'm just taking stats for kicks and for some med school reqs. I'm also graduating this year, so do you think med schools will frown on this, or is it not a big deal?

Members don't see this ad.

thedelicatessen said:
Because I don't think I'm going to do very well in stats this quarter, I would like to take it P/NP. I've already taken multivariable calculus and gotten A's, so I'm just taking stats for kicks and for some med school reqs. I'm also graduating this year, so do you think med schools will frown on this, or is it not a big deal?

It won't matter at all except for the few med schools that actually REQUIRE stats. For all required classes, they should be completed for a grade. One of my friends had taken one quarter of ochem P/NP and got a P (had taken the other 2 for a grade) and they had to retake that course for a grade before they would consider their app. I don't think most schools are like this, but I don't know. I think last year UCLA required stats, maybe a few other schools, so just call them up and double check with them.

As a corollary to the question, do you think there are a lot of med schools that require stats based on your own search for med schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
thedelicatessen said:
As a corollary to the question, do you think there are a lot of med schools that require stats based on your own search for med schools?

No. Some are vague and just say "college math" which can include calculus, stats, advanced math, etc. So if you've taken advanced math then you should be pretty good except for a small handful of schools (of which I can think of only UCLA that requires "One year of college mathematics to include the study of introductory calculus and statistics.") There might be more, I didn't look into it because I took stats.

I don't remember any schools I applied to wanting stats... so yeah take it P/F if it works for you. More competitive schools might want calculus, which you have.

I really thought you were talking about polynomial deterministic versus polynomial nondeterministic. It would have gone along with the stats theme, too. P / NP