Taking Step 1 after submitting ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a DO student with COMLEX level 1 and 2 scores and USMLE CK score. Does it make sense to take step 1 even if it means that I won't receive the grade a month after submitting ERAS? Is there a way to update the programs with my new scores? I'm a pretty weak applicant with couple of red flags and want to pursue anesthesia with family med as a backup. Thanks for the suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I would assume that having Step 1 and 2 CK is preferable to having Step 2 CK only. I would also say that if you only had one that it would be preferable to have Step 1 vs. Step 2 CK. I know that there are successful D.O. matches without Step 1, and this is program specific. Are you prepared to score strongly on Step 1? I think the safest bet is to take it and update programs later, but given that I know that some programs don't have to have it, I'm also hesitant to advise taking a test that you could potentially do poorly on if you don't have to. Taking Step 1, if it goes well, is preferable. Taking Step 1, if it goes poorly, you have only made your life harder. So I think the advice would come down to preparation at this point - I.e. how did a UWSA form go?