Taking Step 2 for Pediatric Residency / Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exc3613

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a "fourth year" (just finished third year 2 weeks ago) medical student and am set on applying for a peds residency next spring. I'm not looking to go Harvard or anything, but would like to be at a solid program whether it's DO or MD. I'd like to do a fellowship in the future, and am wondering whether or not I would benefit from taking Step 2. I'd like to save the money and not take it if possible lol.

Step 1: 244
Level 1: 651

I did see a thread from December with a very similar question, but just wanted to see if I could get some more perspectives. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a Step 1 of 244, you should be fine to take Step 2 and it would only help you in my opinion. The money saved is meaningless if it means giving you a chance at a program you really like/desire. Peds of course is not "competitive" but keep in mind that there are still competitive programs within it.

I have several (DO) classmates who applied peds and took both Steps. Overall they did very well on interviews (14+ IVs across wide range of programs, mostly academic). Unfortunately I do not personally know anyone who applied Peds with just Step 1 + COMLEX so I may be biased in my response.

Reactions: 1 user
With a Step 1 of 244, you should be fine to take Step 2 and it would only help you in my opinion. The money saved is meaningless if it means giving you a chance at a program you really like/desire. Peds of course is not "competitive" but keep in mind that there are still competitive programs within it.

I have several (DO) classmates who applied peds and took both Steps. Overall they did very well on interviews (14+ IVs across wide range of programs, mostly academic). Unfortunately I do not personally know anyone who applied Peds with just Step 1 + COMLEX so I may be biased in my response.
That definitely makes sense. Appreciate your insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your scores are great for peds and like Full_rocker said they indicate you will do well on 2nd round of boards. Not to be a "me too!" commenter but I would also agree that you don't necessarily NEED to take Step 2 but it would most likely help you.

My general understanding is that peds programs in the Midwest would be pretty happy with what you got already, but with increased uncertainty in the match process you want as much wiggle room in your application season as possible. Step 2 will open doors to programs on both East/West coast and help decrease your stress come interview invites. Most DOs worry "will taking Step2 hurt me?" Your performance indicates that thankfully isn't your biggest concern compared to "Would I have done better if I had taken Step 2?"

Anyway, TLDR: go go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
You’ll be fine. Fellowships don’t really care much about boards at all, they will look more at your residency training and activities. Most peds fellowships are not competitive anyway so you will be okay!

You don’t have to do step 2 for peds. People match solid programs without step 1. I’d probably say step 2 really wouldn’t add all that much since you have such a high step 1. The programs that want step will enjoy your 244. The chances you miss out on an interview due to no step 2 is extremely low. The ones that don’t interview DOs aren’t going to just because you took step 2. If you had a bad step 1 it can show improvement but you killed it.

TL;DR the net benefit between taking no step and taking step 1 is so much higher than taking step 2 or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on three latest numbers, it's easier to match pediatrics than FM or Path. I would say not necessary. You'll be judged by your residency performance for fellowship, so any papers or other things will help