taking step 2 late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankNecrosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did well on my comlex level 1 and was planning on delaying taking my step 2 until sometime in november. Will this prevent me from getting interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

november is later but not real late. Your score will be in some time late december or january. The biggest disadvange of taking it late is that you will already have interviews and will have to take off again to take boards. If your school gives you time off and you are not planing to interview at many places that month then it might be a good idea.
I took the written part in September and PE in October. I honestly believe that taking them when I did was the best plan(at least for me). Because:

1.The results will be in after you apply, so if you do bad they wont know until you send them the updated score
2. When they ask if youve taken it, you can tell them yes but you are waiting for results. This makes you not look like a slacker.
3. If results are in and you like them, send the updated scores
4. If results are in and you dont like them, hold until after the interviews.

But in the end, it doesnt really matter that much. They will see your scores and it will influence their decisions. So try to take it during an easy rotation, but before interview season so you have the most study time.

agree with the above post. i took the CK a little earlier because i wanted my scores to show and i planned on sending it right away (since they would know i sat for it anyway). this was only because i wanted to improve on my step 1 score, so if you're ok on that front, taking it like the above poster said is a better/safer idea. i also did my CS in october and thought it was a great time... best of luck...

by the way, this will let you know the importance that PDs place on the scores in your field of interest... http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty.pdf