Taking Summer Classes at Community College to Boost GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steven Phillips

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently an undergraduate at a grade deflating ivy. My GPA is fine at the moment (>3.9), but I was wondering if I could take community college summer courses to help buffer that GPA (for the future). I would not be taking any prereqs at the community college but just easy science classes like microbio and such. It seems that the GPA section of the AMCAS does not distinguish GPA by school (not talking about transcripts). So would taking community college summer classes to help buffer and inflate my GPA be a smart idea?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you avoid taking prerequisites, then it shouldn't matter. But I would honestly not take upper division science classes (like micro, cell phys, or ochem) at a community college. If your university offers their own summer classes, then enroll in their courses instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
It's one thing to do elective classes during the summer at CC to save money; however, in your case (having >3.9 gpa), ADCOMS are more likely to ask why you took upper level sciences at a CC. Don't take that chance especially when you're doing well at a prestigious school already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you should be worrying about buffering your GPA in the future - is there any reason why you think your performance won't be sustained? It's painfully obvious when you're taking courses somewhere else just because it's easier and to pad your GPA because they will see your transcripts even though AMCAS doesn't distinguish by school in GPA calculations. You might consider taking courses at a university that is on the same level as your own in terms of classes if you want to take a summer course elsewhere (really only if your own university doesn't offer summer courses).

Hi everyone,

I'm currently an undergraduate at a grade deflating ivy. My GPA is fine at the moment (>3.9), but I was wondering if I could take community college summer courses to help buffer that GPA (for the future). I would not be taking any prereqs at the community college but just easy science classes like microbio and such. It seems that the GPA section of the AMCAS does not distinguish GPA by school (not talking about transcripts). So would taking community college summer classes to help buffer and inflate my GPA be a smart idea?

I think it's an excellent strategical idea because it doesn't hurt you in any way. Now I strongly doubt, every medical school you apply to is going to do a recalculation of your GPA in a manner that does not include community college courses. Such a task would very hard and time consuming for admission committees to carry out. But do be mindful of the worst case scenario: getting a low grade at a community college. One 'B' or 'C' can diminish your GPA and its effects are permanent since all post-high school grades have to be reported.

Given that your GPA is very competitive, I would suggest that you rather spend the time and effort into preparing for MCAT because the reward is much greater for the time spent than that of taking community college classes.

Did I REALLY just read that someone with a > 3.9 GPA at an Ivy wants to take CC classes to "pad his/her GPA"?

Only on SDN, folks.

Reactions: 1 user
Did I REALLY just read that someone with a > 3.9 GPA at an Ivy wants to take CC classes to "pad his/her GPA"?

Only on SDN, folks.

Chill. this person had a valid question. These types of responses hurt all of us. If you are cynical and make rude remarks it makes it harder for the community to build that environment where everyone feels like they can ask a question. Negative remarks like this don't benefit anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Every action has consequences and this one does indeed have negative consequences that can hurt you in many ways.
Taking summer classes is already a minor issue
Taking summer classes at an away 4 year school is suspect
Taking summer classes at a CC is extremely suspect
Taking ANY science classes (like micro) the summer at CC is a flag on an application inviting extra scrutiny
***Warning, Will Robinson, Warning*** These are not universal perceptions among med schools. Other considerations go into whether outside coursework is "suspect," like selectivity of the school doing the perceiving, timing, recurrent patterns, type of class, nontrad vs traditional applicant, work status, individual observer bias, and applicant GPA. And economic factors are often a significant moderator of opinion, regardless.

I think there are a few kinds of classes that are good to take in the Summer at community colleges:
  1. Classes that are personally fulfilling, like creative writing, food science, etc.
  2. Classes that I want out of the way, either because they're part of a liberal arts core curriculum that I can transfer to university (and so use that slot for a more challenging class in the Fall) or that are prereqs for classes I want to take sooner at university - I major in philosophy and I'm take a 100 level course in Critical Reasoning over the Summer so that I don't have to choose between two higher level courses in the Fall, and as a bonus it will transfer to my university as a basic humanities credit essential for graduation.
  3. Classes I need or want for whatever reason, that either aren't offered at university or that are only offered on a schedule that conflicts with my academic plan and will transfer to my school.
  4. Certifications like CPR/AED, EMT, CNA, MA, etc. My university isn't hospital affiliated, but my CC is well-funded and works closely with a local hospital network to offer classes to its employees and volunteers. I'd rather not spend thousands more on something that's meant to generate revenue for me eventually.
Be goal oriented! CC can be a great advantage if you want to spend your Summer that way, but remember that you benefit from being choosey.

Classes I need or want for whatever reason, that either aren't offered at university or that are only offered on a schedule that conflicts with my academic plan and will transfer to my school.
Turambar brings up an important point. All coursework taken at other schools won't be accepted in transfer to your primary university. If you are trying to fulfill a requirement for your bachelors degree or intend that the credits apply toward the minimum needed to graduate, check ahead of time with the registrar or an advisor to be sure the credit for that specific class will transfer and fulfill requirements.