Taking the 2014 MCAT as a sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hhexc9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming sophomore but I have nearly all of my Pre-med course work done other than organic chem 1 and 2.

My coursework and my corresponding grades so far as follows.

Chem 1 and 2: 4 on AP exam
English 1 and 2: A in both
Psychology: A
Calculus 1: B
Calculus 2: C
Intro to Bio w/ Lab: A
General Genetics: B+
Physics 1: A-
Physics 2: A
Microeconmics: B
History: B+
Medical Terminology: A-

This fall I'll be taking:
Organic Chem 1
Human Development
Human physiology w/ Lab
Intimate relationships

For the spring semester I plan on taking:
Organic chem 2 w/ lab
Human nutrition
Intro to cell biology
(And study for MCAT)

Do you think my coursework would prepare me for the 2014 MCAT? I'm kind of apprehensive about the "2015 style MCAT" since it's the first year it's being offered and no one really knows what to expect for certain. Since I'm only a sophomore and plan on applying to medical school after my junior year, would it be wrong to assume that most of my peers applying to medical school will be taking the 2015 MCAT and that this fact could be used against me in the application process?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Taking it in 2014 sounds like a great idea.

Your coursework looks pretty good, and definitely covers all the material on the exam (and then some).

As for whether or not your peers will have an advantage because they took the "new version" of the test..... there is no way to tell how schools will value different versions of the test.

Take the test when you feel ready. If you feel ready before the new version of the MCAT is administered, all the better. I don't think applicants would be penalized for not taking the new MCAT since scores are valid for up to three years, but that's just IMO.

Can you take it at the end of summer in 2014? I'm currently a rising junior (taking it in a week) and specifically chose to do that so that I wouldn't have to deal with the stress of studying during the semester. It worked out well, and seems like it might work well for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Synapsis. Dont study during the spring if you can avoid it. Study during the summer and take it in August. Normally I would say dont rush and take another year, but I wouldnt want to take MCAT 2015 either.

Im glad to see you are taking physiology and cell biology (and have taken genetics), these will help you on the MCAT.

Finally, you can start preparing for verbal by reading as much as you can. I would recommend the economist, the new yorker, things like that.

Can you take it at the end of summer in 2014? I'm currently a rising junior (taking it in a week) and specifically chose to do that so that I wouldn't have to deal with the stress of studying during the semester. It worked out well, and seems like it might work well for you.

Completely agree with this!

I am a rising junior and the best choice I have made so far in my collegiate career has been setting aside a big chunk of time for solely studying. This will not only free up your junior summer for applications/secondaries/research etc... but it will also help you get a much better score than if you were juggling multiple things at once including the MCAT.

You will have taken more science classes than me when you take your MCAT, and I in no way feel like I am unprepared for my MCAT next week because I havent taken more upper division science

Would be a bad idea to contact the admissions department at one of my possible med schools about this?