MPH Taking the GRE and how/when SOPHAS uploads scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedAsUsual

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I called SOPHAS just now and I'm still super confused about this.

On SOPHAS, it says that "GRE Scores are submitted electronically to SOPHAS directly from ETS using a special public health school-specific SOPHAS GRE code" and that we "supply the code to ETS and request that your scores be released. According to ETS, it takes them about 10-12 business days (not counting weekends and holidays) to release a score to SOPHAS once they have been requested. If you have just taken the test, they report a turnaround of 12-15 business days"

My questions are:
1. It takes approximately 2 weeks to report the scores to SOPHAS (and then SOPHAS upload them in batches). It also takes about the same time to actually get official GRE scores. Does that mean it'll take a total of 4 weeks?

2. I don't remember much about standardized testing anymore, but can I choose to send scores using the SOPHAS GRE codes right after I finish my exam? Would this take 2 weeks instead of 4? And if so, how do I "find" these codes after my test?

3. I plan to submit my completed application by October 20th but I plan to take the GRE by October 29th, at the latest. Is this way too late for a December 1st deadline...?

Sorry about the questions, I'm just so lost right now.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just called ETS and they said when you report scores to schools at the exam, WITHIN those 2 weeks the score reports will have already been sent out. So, SOPHAS would receive these scores in 2 weeks total, basically?

Also, when you all took the exam, how did you find SOPHAS-specific codes on the computer? Did you search the schools or SOPHAS? Less confused, now. :(

Yes, SOPHAS will receive those scores within two weeks. However, it takes time for SOPHAS to verify your application and send it to your schools. I believe you do not have to have scores received to start the verification process, however.

When you finish the test, it will ask where you want scores sent. You can pick 4 schools that day for free, and the rest you will be prompted via email to send when your scores become official. If you're applying to more than 4 schools, obviously select schools with earlier due dates on the day of the test. I can't remember exactly how you go about finding the codes the day of the test, but I do remember it's easy. I thiiink You search for "Harvard" (for example) and it'll give you a menu with the regular graduate school code, the SOPHAS code, and maybe a few other things clearly labeled. Pick the SOPHAS code.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, SOPHAS will receive those scores within two weeks. However, it takes time for SOPHAS to verify your application and send it to your schools. I believe you do not have to have scores received to start the verification process, however.

When you finish the test, it will ask where you want scores sent. You can pick 4 schools that day for free, and the rest you will be prompted via email to send when your scores become official. If you're applying to more than 4 schools, obviously select schools with earlier due dates on the day of the test. I can't remember exactly how you go about finding the codes the day of the test, but I do remember it's easy. I thiiink You search for "Harvard" (for example) and it'll give you a menu with the regular graduate school code, the SOPHAS code, and maybe a few other things clearly labeled. Pick the SOPHAS code.

Okay, thank you so much! :)

Yeah, I already have my transcripts in and I believe recommendations upload immediately once the recommender submits it. I think if I submit everything by October 20th, I should be verified before my December 1st deadlines!

I have a related question to this. I took the GRE on 11/28. SOPHAS only shows that Columbia has accepted the scores on 12/8, no one else. I know I sent them to all the right schools because it shows up on my ETS account. Should I be contacting SOPHAS? Did anyone else have this issue?

I have a related question to this. I took the GRE on 11/28. SOPHAS only shows that Columbia has accepted the scores on 12/8, no one else. I know I sent them to all the right schools because it shows up on my ETS account. Should I be contacting SOPHAS? Did anyone else have this issue?

I'd give them a call to check, it's probably fine but I've found they're much quicker to resolve issues and answer questions via phone than email. I had an issue with a transcript and it was fixed in all of 5 minutes.